Wow, I just saw some of the worst wedding pics by experienced pro's I have ever seen!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by benhasajeep, Oct 6, 2009.

1. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

My wife just sent me a link to wedding pics a coworker was a bridesmaid in. First off the wedding was in mid Aug. And they just posted the pics online for viewing. The wedding was done by 2 people. For over $1,200 + prints. The company that provided the pics has multiple offices and lists quite a few photographers. And according to their profiles, many of them have over 100 weddings shot. Couple over 200.

Looking at the pics. 1 used a flash and the 2nd did not. The one with the flash took every pic straight on with no diffuser or light modifier of any kind. Blown out pics all over the place. The second did not use a flash, but did not have white balance set propperly so every pic they took had a bad yellow cast. They posted nearly 1,200 pics, and apparently didn't cull out any bad shots. At one point there was 11 pictures in a row of oof shots. I don't mean just a little off. But pics that make you cry trying to focus on them. Pics of the reception where there were just torso's at odd angles. Kinda like the photog was dancing with them and just clicked off some shots as they waved their arm around. The next part that really made me upset is the photographer took some unflattering pics of the bride. And even though they make her look bad, they still posted the pics online to sell. Basically they took some shots of her from a low angle and made her chin look horrable. She was overweight but not alot. Just her neck / chin was issue. The photog should have realized not to do low shots. If they had just looked at 1 shot on the screen. They would have noticed this. Shots from level and higher angle were very flattering to her. But for some reason this photog took many shots from a low angle??? The pics made her look more overweight than she actually was.

I feel totally sorry for the couple that paid for the pics. I have mentioned several times on here about being unhappy with my own wedding pics. These are much much worse. Almost to the point it makes me feel bad I complained about mine.

Wow, I mean really, wow. :( These pics are not bad because of style conflicts. They are absolutely below amateurish in terms of basic camera operations. My 12 y/o nephew took better pics of my wedding with $100 p&s than these pro's did, seriously!

WOW

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. beni_hung

beni_hung TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry to hear about your coworker's wedding pics. I know exactly how you feel. My brother just got married and their wedding photos look terrible! All the photos were from across the room and full of noise. They took photos of people pinning roses on others, but they were extremely close up and without taste. I wasn't getting the best vibe from the photographers to begin with. They just looked lost the whole time with their full bodied Fuji cameras.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Actually the pics I saw is the exact reason people with Binford 3000 gigapixel cameras think they can do weddings with no experience. As many of them could take the same shots or better with just sheer luck in auto mode. They see these "experienced" "PRO" shots and compare to their own. And think, these people get $1,200 plus for this??? I can do that! :grumpy:

WOW

I'm mad and I don't even know the people.

My wife just said talking to the bridesmaids apparently they did keep some pics out. There were some shots of preperations of the bridesmaids on a spiral stair and none of them are in the shots online. So either they forgot to put a memory card in and didnt get them. Or they did cull some shots. But that seems odd as there are quite a few very bad shots in the photo set. VERY BAD shots.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well "Pro" in this industry just means you get paid for what you do. Quality unfortunately is not required :(

You'd think that these people would lose their business. I don't understand how crap professional photographers make a living.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Sad story for sure, but nothing new.

Now the plan is to get you booking more weddings and the other company to book less weddings. How are you going to accomplish that?

Love & Bass

6. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

This company has nearly a dozen locations across a couple states. Must be a small chain I would guess. They actually have store fronts. Not working out of their homes. Their prices for prints are pretty steep. To me anyway. What gets me is even in their portfolio's quite of the pics are just ho-hum. Nothing really jumps out. I can't see how they are getting the prices they are. Maybe its a lack of pro's in these area's. But they are big towns, at least 10-20,000 people in each of the ones they have stores in. So, I doubt that.

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I do not care about what the other company does. What do you do to get clients? David and Goliath story I would imagine, but it does not matter. If you want to be a wedding photographer and you think you can do better then the competition then do it. No excuses.

I moved to CA 16 months ago. Moved to LA 6 weeks ago. Everyone and their brother is either a DP or is on the payroll at VF and Harpers. Does that stop little ol' me? No. Actually it is stopping me, but I have creativity and perseverance. Personally that is what it takes to make it in photography. And I will make it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love & Bass

8. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I tell you what. You can come do the weddings and I will rent you a room, and even space for a computer lab for post processing / printing. For the price the lunk heads are getting for their work. I am sure we can charge 5x more. And look brilliant. If you are still into film I can even cut you a deal with someone with their own minilab for printing. I know him very well. :sexywink: Boxes of paper and chemicals just waiting to toss out thousands of prints.

We can name the company Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe :p

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  9. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Marketing and business skills make any business successful, since digital took off over here the market is inundated with "Pro" photographers who shoot weddings in the shoot n burn format, some for very little money, but when shooting hundreds of gigs on the cheap they make a good living whether or not their product is garbage. H

10. robdavis305

robdavis305 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just another reason you should look at a portfolio before you hire a phtographer

11. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Actually they have portfolio's online for each photographer. And the pictures are decent to very good. Obviously they would only put in the best pictures. Even looking at what they call a full set is no real indication. As if you look at a set of say 500 pictures. How many pictures were actually taken to get to the 500?? Did they take 1,500. So only 1 in 3 are useable? Or did they only take 600. Where 5 of 6 are useable. That is the biggest tale of how good a photographer is!

Machine gun vs. true skill.

I am not complaining becasue they are competition as I have never done a wedding. Nor plan too. Just for what they charged and what came out. Was extremely poor quality. And appears the photographers don't even know the basics. They could have had a bad day. But there were too many rookie mistakes made!

12. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Recently there was another thread "Would you hire a professional with a D40" and some posters kept insisting that the portfolio is absolutely the ONLY thing that matters.