Wow to DUI punisment

bnz506

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I never knew DUI punishments were that steep.

logo.jpg

Drunk drivers face series of consequences

ESCANABA — For first time offenders, an operating while impaired (OWI) charge will bring about a series of consequences.

Standard fines and costs may run $995 or more. The offender may be given six months probation and mandatory attendance in counseling and evaluation sessions.

In addition is jail time or community service.

The Secretary of State’s office also will suspend the offender’s license for 180 days with a restricted license available after 30.

If a person with an OWI conviction was to be convicted a second time, the fines and costs increase to $1,195, probation increases to 12 months and the driver’s license is revoked with an appeal available only after 73 days. They may also face jail time.

A third offense is considered a felony and is punishable by up to five years in prison.

They should be steeper IMO. There's no excuse for DUI.

+1 here...you should spend at least a month in jail for 2nd time and have your liscense suspended permanently

Mike's right! More punishment for the irresponsible drivers is needed.

IMO 2nd conviction should be permanent revocation, no appeal. 3rd conviction should be attempted homicide.

If you actually cause an accident while intoxicated, it's automatically attempted homicide. and if you cause an accident with fatalities, it's premeditated murder.

Escanaba is a small town and some of the most common things ive noticed are people driving after drinking at bars.

The police dont really catch people who come out of bars and has obviously been drinking and these people get in their cars and drive back home (even though this is a common thing ive noticed the accident rate in this town is surprisingly non existent). I dont understand why the Police cant or dont camp out at the bars. We all know most everyone in those bars (in Esky) are going to drive home after drinking (there are those few that walk).

5hi7 the police dont even round up adults who get caught with small amounts of weed. Depending on the cop they dont even pick up kids I remember we’ve been caught many times with weed they just take it from us (But ive heard this new crop of cops are a lot more strict when it comes to weed and kids).

Great town I cant believe I wanted to come back to NYC.

...but yeah I guess im more liberal when it comes to laws in certain places.

I agree with Mike also. By driving under the influence, you are consciously making the choice to put others at risk. Thats unacceptable. Penalties for this should be severe, because there is absolutely no excuse for it. Even if you are driving unsafely without being intoxicated, the penalties should be tough.

We need tougher laws but also courts that have enough guts to carry the laws out. When people are out on their 7th and 8th convictions, still driving, and the longest time they spent in jail was three months then there is a problem. When attorneys can plea bargain these things down to a slap on the wrist, there is a problem. After 30 years on the job I've seen enough death and destruction these people do to last the rest of my life.

Escanaba is a small town and some of the most common things ive noticed are people driving after drinking at bars.

The police dont really catch people who come out of bars and has obviously been drinking and these people get in their cars and drive back home (even though this is a common thing ive noticed the accident rate in this town is surprisingly non existent). I dont understand why the Police cant or dont camp out at the bars. We all know most everyone in those bars (in Esky) are going to drive home after drinking (there are those few that walk).

5hi7 the police dont even round up adults who get caught with small amounts of weed. Depending on the cop they dont even pick up kids I remember we’ve been caught many times with weed they just take it from us (But ive heard this new crop of cops are a lot more strict when it comes to weed and kids).

Great town I cant believe I wanted to come back to NYC.

...but yeah I guess im more liberal when it comes to laws in certain places.

One reason that officers don't "camp out" at a bar and catch people as they're leaving is that it has been considered entrapment before in the court system. I don't know the exact legal definition of how it works, but that's what was told to me when I asked a friend who's an officer. We have a screwed up legal system unfortunately.

I also feel that the penalties should be much higher for DUI. The only difference between DUI and the felony for hitting or killing someone while driving under the influence is that you got lucky and didn't hit anyone...you just got caught before you had the chance. Stiffen the penalties.

Shane

Most reactions

New Topics

Back