"Wow, you have a nice camera!"

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this is an old story to most of you, but it's the first time it's happened to me and I feel the need to share.

I brought a stack of vacation photos in to work, all taken with my new D80. I counted six different people over the course of two days remark to me that I have a really good camera to have taken such nice shots.

Six.

I guess I should forward all the compliments to Nikon.

Jon

well, that is how people are. that is why so many people buy expensive gear in the hope to take good photographs.

if you criticize their work, some of them will even say, not, my camera did cost XXX, so those shots are perfect! (Bit simplified, but in principle I already found such attitude in some people ;))

A good photographer can easily take a great photo with a crappy camera but a bad photographer has a hard time getting a good photo with a great camera.

This is one of my biggest peeves.

Someone posted on another forum I'm on...

"Hand them your expensive camera and tell them to take a great picture."

Someday should the opportunity present itself, that is what I'm going to do. :)

A good photographer can easily take a great photo with a crappy camera but a bad photographer has a hard time getting a good photo with a great camera.

This is one of my biggest peeves.

Someone posted on another forum I'm on...

"Hand them your expensive camera and tell them to take a great picture."

Someday should the opportunity present itself, that is what I'm going to do. :)

Never hand anyone your expensive camera who does not know how to treat it well...

Thats just the state of people's understanding of photography. Its no longer seen as a creative art driven by human creativity and effort but an activity driven by a consumer electronic. No different from people who use computers, watch TV, etc...

Marketing by companies are also geared this way. They make a lot of money from the typical consumer purchases. The biggest chunk of profit is not driven by professionals and enthusiasts.

Ad 1:
"Buy our new camera and with practice you might be able to take photos like a professional"

Ad 2:
"Buy our new camera and you too can shoot like a professional"

Which ad is going to have a better chance of driving sales?

Never hand anyone your expensive camera who does not know how to treat it well...

:) Yes, this was discussed after the statement was made. Like I said, "if it was ever the "right" circumstance...I'd love to do it. Now whether I'd ever have the balls to do it is another story.

My family is the worst for 'playing' with my camera. They just can't wrap their brains around the fact that it isn't a p&s.

Now when I get my 1D someone will lose a limb if they touch it. :)

Sad but true. I've heard it from a friend of the family who considers herself a photojournalist... "Well of course John takes nice pictures, look at how expensive his camera is" I like LuckyStar's idea; I think I'll try that when I get home from this trip. I wonder if she will find the thus-far hidden feature in my D300 which automtically levels horizons! :lol:

:) Yes, this was discussed after the statement was made. Like I said, "if it was ever the "right" circumstance...I'd love to do it. Now whether I'd ever have the balls to do it is another story.

My family is the worst for 'playing' with my camera. They just can't wrap their brains around the fact that it isn't a p&s.

Now when I get my 1D someone will lose a limb if they touch it. :)

It does not need balls, but a good insurance which covers everything ;)

I'm always jealous when I see the pictures my mum takes with her p&s. OK, it is quite a good p&s (I selected it for her) .. still that does not justify her taking perfectly exposed and well composed images which I would even print large scale and hang up on my wall.

I know ...

I guess I should forward all the compliments to Nikon.

Yes, if you don't appreciate them for what they are, compliments, by all means forward them to Nikon.

yes, if you don't appreciate them for what they are, compliments, by all means forward them to Nikon.

Oh, they're compliments to me alright; I'm being complimented for selecting and purchasing a quality camera.

Jon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back