"Wow, you have a nice camera!"

It's really more of a back-handed compliment if you ask me.

I don't believe so. Shouldn't expect people to be so refined in the discipline- If someone really wants to overthink it, imagine it as a really polite way for someone to say your photography absolutely sucks, but you have a nice camera. ;)

Oh, they're compliments to me alright; I'm being complimented for selecting and purchasing a quality camera.

Jon

Then by all means, tell them how little they know- make them sorry they said anything at all.

Oh come on! Us photographers have to be honest with ourselves. Part of the quality of our pictures does come from the equipment we use, otherwise we would all be using cheap P&S or even pinhole cameras made out of shoe boxes. In the end, they said your shots were good and that is a compliment in my book.

I don't believe so. Shouldn't expect people to be so refined in the discipline- If someone really wants to overthink it, imagine it as a really polite way for someone to say your photography absolutely sucks, but you have a nice camera. ;)

It's like telling a painter his painting is great because he had good brushes or the best canvas. Or telling a surgeon he did a great job on the heart transplant because he had the best scalpel. Or telling a Nascar driver he's only won because he had the best car.

What that person is complimenting is your tool, not your talent. Granted, this may be out of ignorance, (on their part) but it's still more of an insult than a compliment. IMHO. :peacesign:

Oh come on! Us photographers have to be honest with ourselves. Part of the quality of our pictures does come from the equipment we use,

yes, it does. just saying if you use a p&s to its full capabilities, then you can produce outstanding results.

my reason for not using a p&s is simply its limitations. there are just many shots in complicated/interesting light, which I could not take with a p&s.

your tool sets the limits, and it is up to you and your talent/experience to fill out those limits!

my reason for not using a p&s is simply its limitations. there are just many shots in complicated/interesting light, which I could not take with a p&s.

Excactly my point!! So your 5D is in part responsible for the quality of some of your shots (at least the ones you would not be able to take with a P&S):wink:.

Excactly my point!! So your 5D is in part responsible for the quality of some of your shots (at least the ones you would not be able to take with a P&S):wink:.

I would say it enables me to make full use of my talent (how small that talent may be .. not saying I am extremely talented :p )

But the photographer who has increased their skill & knowledge to be able to use a 5D to it's full potential and take amazing photos with it does so because of THEIR skill, knowledge, hours of learning, hours of practice, creative eye, and passion. It is not in the camera. I could take five 1Ds out right now & hand them to five unskilled, untrained people and one might get a good shot purely because of luck and a good quality camera.

I could jump in the seat of the worlds fastest, best made, highest quality race car today and I promise you I'd still come in last in a race. Why? Because a race car doesn't make a race car drive and a good camera doesn't make a good photographer.

IMHO :) Now I need a drink...

:redwine:

You can, but I warn you, I have hours of practice, hours of learning, skill, & passion when it comes to drinking. So bring your best bottle.:lol:

Hmm, as for myself, I just got used to drinking over the years ... :p

My best bottle? In terms of red wine that would currently be a
Chateau Lafitte-Carcasset 2002 Saint-Estephe

In terms of Single Malt whisky:

Lagavulin, 16 years, and a Glentromie 17 years (bottled ages ago)

(unfortunately my Balvenie Port Wood Finish 21 years has just been emptied)

I think I need to learn to "just get use to stuff":hail:

Just make sure that it either comes in a cardboard box, or has a screw top!

Most reactions

Back