480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the opportunity a few years back to wire up some commercial printing machines for a customer of mine. He doesn't really 'do' photos (he does more commercial print jobs for large corporations.... think of the fliers, adders in your utility bills, sales posters, etc). But the machines he uses for most of his work he bought mostly for their speed. But he has one printer that can do a superb job with photos. I recall his telling me the machine cost him $28,000.

So this morning, I bartered a little bit of work for a couple dozen prints on his top-end paper. It's almost not paper, it's almost as thick as the cardboard of a cereal box. He printed out my favorite B&W shots and handed me a stack of 8x10s.

D62_0404.jpg

You really can't see the image quality in a shot like this, but the tonal range is just stunning.

To give you an idea of the paper thickness, here's the stack of 25 prints (they're so thick, they still have a bit of curve from being on the roll!):

D62_0406.jpg

Kinda better than a Walmart/Walgreen's/CVS/Staples/Snapfish/(insert consumer print lab name here) print?

Kinda better than a Walmart/Walgreen's/CVS/Staples/Snapfish/(insert consumer print lab name here) print?

Dunno. I've never tried them. But I will assume these are MUCHO better.

I'd love to have some prints done like that. There's really nothing like getting some prints done that you're really happy with, just looking them over and admiring all the little details

Sweet. Sounds like a long lasting relationship

Nice... how 'bout hooking the rest of us up?

I'm not sure he wants to get into the photo printing biz. I can ask him, though.

Online/electronic display just cannot come anywhere close to comparing with a well made print.

It is really sad so few new photographers have prints made.
Even sadder are all the working photographers that don't have high quality print samples to show their clients.
Putting proofs online is a major way many of today's retail photographers are contributing to the de-valuing of luxury, custom made photography.

Based on a lot of years of experience I can tell you the customer is seldom right, the customer that paid the most is usually the happiest customer, and the most devoted repeat customer.

Those look fantastic! I'll be honest and say I've never sent out for a high quality print. I keep seeing this amazing print at my sons guitar lesson shop and really want to ask where it was done. It's so vibrant and sharp! I definitely see where it's worth it for nice prints!

Very nice Sparky. Now since you missed Christmas, my birthday and my "photography anniversary", you can just send me 3 of those 4 in the first one. You can decide which you want to keep. lol.

Do you have enough wall space for 25 photos??

I use a local business that specializes in photo printing. They have a couple of the big Epson printers that are about five feet wide. I wanted to print some note cards recently and they wouldn't do it, but recommended a commercial printer that would.

I use a local business that specializes in photo printing. They have a couple of the big Epson printers that are about five feet wide. ......

I forget what brand this printer is, but it's a measly 12-foot.

I use a local business that specializes in photo printing. They have a couple of the big Epson printers that are about five feet wide. ......

I forget what brand this printer is, but it's a measly 12-foot.

So you ordered 2 of them, one dedicated to b&w and one to color? Be sure to license "480's Printshop". lol ;)

The only thing I see you did wrong here was getting 8X10's I would have gone for bigger, especially the church and the tree shot. Good job.

Most reactions

Back