Wrong white balance - any chance to rescue the pics?

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dang! I must have forgotten to push "set" when I THOUGHT I had changed the white balance to daylight (after the last pic taken had been a "study on a cat" indoors with my desklight the night before) --- 48 all blue photos are the result. On top of things, exposure went haywire on some of them (took pics like an absolute beginner, sheesh).

Is there any rescue for this or will I have to convert them all in to black and white to save them at all? Here are two examples and my meagre attempts to do something about it, pushing all the buttons on PS I could find (and know by now):

Off the camera :)oops: )
WhiteBalanceChallenge1.jpg

And after I have tried to "rescue" this one...
WhiteBalanceChallenge2.jpg

...but now I am finding the colours more off than ever :roll:

And another right from the camera (must have realised the first had gone wrong):
WhiteBalanceChallenge3.jpg

And after my attempts to bring about SOMETHING... :er:
WhiteBalanceChallenge4.jpg

I usually have some luck by using the color balance. I'm at work now, w/out Photoshop, so I can't help at the moment. Maybe try messin with the channel mixer? :scratch:

Have you tried picking the white point, in levels? Or maybe Chanel mixer?

Don't you have a 350D? You should be shooting in RAW, in which case it's easy to adjust the WB.

So I take it you didn't shoot in RAW?

*tsk tsk* :p

A color balance adjustment layer will be your best bet probably.

Shoot in raw! :)

"Colour .... Balance .... Adjustment ... Layer" :scratch:
Uh-oh :oops:

And photographing in RAW ... hmph... that means I would need to get out that manual for the camera????????? :stun:

The last one you posted doesn't look too bad. :( I think....I can't really tell, I've got two computers in front of me and I'm pretty sure both color settings are off...

Anywho, heres a B&W thingy. It looks like a really good pic, the only thing I would change (that I didn't) would be that the silo thing on the left isn't parallel to the border, but I don't know how that would effect the bottom. I don't know if your camera bends things inward also, I know if I take a pic of two buildings they will bend in towards each other at the top.

bluechop4zr.jpg

I believe there is a lense that corrects for the bending...other than that...I'm not sure, cuz it's been a while since I've read about it. I think it's called converging verticals, when it bends like that, though.

Boy, that's a tough one Corinna :grumpy:

I played with just normal PS settings and didn't get very pleasing results. So...I used some 'advanced' techniques. Just doing some advanced editing with a couple of PS plugins. Nothing I can walk you through...and still not very good results...but the results are definitely better than I got without them.

54469246-M-1.jpg

Actually I think you did pretty good Pete.

That's similar to my original edit, except I couldn't get the blue tones as balanced as yours. So I just darkened up all the shadows with an overlay layer. Yours really kept the detail in the shadowed areas.

:hug:: Awwww :hug:: :hug::

Thanks to all of you who you tried to rescue my pics.
How I wish one of you could come over and teach me all the PS tricks over my shoulder. I now at last dare do the most basic things, but I just don't know how to do all these layer-tricks... :roll:

That's why I need you so much, see?
But I think that out of the 47 blue pics I'll have to either trash most or find out what they look like in black+white...

Though upon thinking of it closer... this one http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40651
was from the blue batch, too, and I think I got things solved there ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back