WTB Nikon 24-85 VR

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking for a mid-range zoom, settled on the 24-85 VR again...I keep going back to this lens. Gotta be a reason right? LOL. Anyways, after being restricted to only 20 1.8 and 50 1.8 glass, I really..really miss having a mid-range utility zoom.

So if anyone has the 24-85 VR and no longer wants it, let me know. I'm interested.

Thanks in advance!

I picked up a non-VR NIKKOR AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED on ebay about 18 months ago for only about $225 shipped. Others can chime in, but I personally don't miss the VR on a mid-range focal length zoom.

I picked up a non-VR NIKKOR AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED on ebay about 18 months ago for only about $225 shipped. Others can chime in, but I personally don't miss the VR on a mid-range focal length zoom.

I need the VR for when I record video and since I often find myself in low light...VR is incredibly useful. I can get the VR on eBay for about $300. But I figured I'd ask here first anyways. Can't hurt!

This will literally be my 3rd timing owning one lol.

So I'm looking for a mid-range zoom, settled on the 24-85 VR again...I keep going back to this lens. Gotta be a reason right? LOL.
I have one, but it seems to glued onto the front of my camera. :D

So I'm looking for a mid-range zoom, settled on the 24-85 VR again...I keep going back to this lens. Gotta be a reason right? LOL.

Well nothing 3M adhesive remover can't fix!!!

I found a good deal from a seller on eBay. Made an offer for $250. I can't pass that opportunity up.

So much for lens mounts. File those tabs off and just use Glue !!
:345:

Well I decided to buy the 24-85 VR off a eBay seller. The deal was awesome, I had to take it. I originally offered $250 BUT I saw there was several other competing bids and I didn't want to take a chance losing out on this over $30 . So I paid $290 shipped. I can't complain. It's cheaper because there is no box and I'm fine with that for this lens. But other than that, it's basically brand new and he said it's a really really sharp copy. So we'll see. It will be nice to have a utility zoom once again and I can get back into making YouTube videos as the lens situation was mainly holding me back because either the 20mm was TOO wide or the 50mm was too long.

Did you check KEH.com, BH Photo used department, Adorama used, and Amazon used?

I love my AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D and use it's 1:2 macro capability often. I got it used through Amazon. The seller was in Korea.

Did you check KEH.com, BH Photo used department, and Adorama used?

Yeah, more than what I wanted to spend. I paid $290 for one in like new condition lol. KEH wants $299 for bargin one.

Well I got the lens and looks like I'll be trying to return it to seller. This is THE worst copy I have ever had.

I took a shot outside in bright daylight at 1/500th, f/8 and ISO 100 and throughout the ENTIRE frame its blurry, but not motion blurry like just looks blurry because of what appears to be fuzziness and ghosting. Doesn't matter what f stop or focal length, it's all crap. I compared it to my other copy I owned before and that lens was tack sharp edge to edge. There is definitely something wrong. It's garbage. Hope he'll give me a refund, if not...I know eBay will.

There is definitely something wrong.
I agree. There is something wrong with it.

It would appear that not all sellers on eBay are totally honest.

There is definitely something wrong.
I agree. There is something wrong with it.

It would appear that not all sellers on eBay are totally honest.

When I got it, the lens was bulging out of box as well. I'm surprised it wasn't broken when I got it!

Also it had a knock of lens hood which is my fault because I didn't notice it but its concerning because maybe he dropped the lens and it broke the orginal hood and so he replaced it with a knock off. He probably just misplaced it...but how do I know that?

I'm a little bummed. Hopefully he'll accept the return if not, eBay will step in.

Ah balls. It's a pain when this happens. I got ripped off with a Nikon 300mm f4 that was the best lens I ever had but only focussed sometimes, it had got dropped and had internal damage. Thing was I paid cash and everything worked when I initially inspected the lens.

That's not saying you got ripped off, it could just be an unfortunate event. Let us know how it gies

On another note,I bought a 24-120 f4 today, always liked this lens but originally bought a sigma 24-105. I don't know why, but this sigma focussed fast accurate and images looked very good, but for some reason I never loved the images from it. Can't explain why- I'd actually recommend that lens if one liked the rendering

Ah balls. It's a pain when this happens. I got ripped off with a Nikon 300mm f4 that was the best lens I ever had but only focussed sometimes, it had got dropped and had internal damage. Thing was I paid cash and everything worked when I initially inspected the lens.

That's not saying you got ripped off, it could just be an unfortunate event. Let us know how it gies

On another note,I bought a 24-120 f4 today, always liked this lens but originally bought a sigma 24-105. I don't know why, but this sigma focussed fast accurate and images looked very good, but for some reason I never loved the images from it. Can't explain why- I'd actually recommend that lens if one liked the rendering

The Sigma is fine but I don't like the size and weight of it.

I considered getting a used Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC but again it's the weight and size that I don't care for. The 24-85 VR is great little lightweight lens for what I need it for.

The Sigma is fine but I don't like the size and weight of it.

I considered getting a used Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC but again it's the weight and size that I don't care for. The 24-85 VR is great little lightweight lens for what I need it for.
I know you like the 24-85. I wasn't recommending any of them lenses to you, just talking generally.

Hopefully you get sorted quick fast

Most reactions

Back