1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

WTB: Nikon D40 or D40x

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by spiv, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spiv

spiv TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looking to buy a nikon D40 or D40x in excellent condition with roughly 10k shutter releases (the lower, the better).

Willing to spend $300.

Thanks guys!

2. JG_Coleman

JG_Coleman No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I work at a pawn shop and we just recently pulled a Nikon D40 and put it on our shelf for sale for $299. It includes an 18-55mm lens, camera strap, and battery. I don't know how much it was used before it was pawned, so I couldn't really give you an estimate on the number of shutter releases it's endured.

We are actually located in Southington, Connecticut... but a quick mapping with Google Earth shows that you're only about a two-hour drive away.

Let me know if you're interested.

I truly considered buying it myself, but the 6MP sensor is just too small for my taste... I can't be cropping images down to 3 or 4 megapixels. My D5000 spoils me with its 12MP resolution, and I think that if I got a nice shot with the D40, I would just end up cursing myself for not getting the shot with my D5000 and milking it for 6 more megapixels.

Bear in mind, the camera we have is the original D40... not the higher-res D40x.

3. SwiftTone

SwiftTone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are interested in getting a 18-55mm VR lens, let me know. I live next door to you in Belmont.

4. John16

John16 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can sell you my D60 body for $300 it has less than 700 actuations and its in excellent condition.

5. spiv

spiv TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hah, I would *love* a D5000 over a D40, D40x, or D60, but I don't think I would be able to find one for $300 on here. I would, however, be willing to pay a bit more for the D5000 over the others.

6. spiv

spiv TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was able to buy a Nikon D40 elsewhere, so this thread is essentially closed. Thanks guys.