WTB- Sell me my first DSLR! (RI)

Which should I buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

volkswagevan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to get into digital photography, and buying a decent digital camera. A moderate priced DSLR would be perfect. I'd like a semi-professional camera, or something that could start me off taking nice pictures. Keep in mind I'm a kid paying my way through college, so I can't buy a $1000 camera. Something in the $300 range would be ideal... to start off with. Let's see some offers people! :thumbup:

...buying out of RI.

PS-

Would you buy a Nikon d40 for $250-$300 with a stock lens,

Or a Cannon 20d body for $350?

Thanks again guys...Any input would help:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

D40 with kit lens for $250-$300, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

D40 with kit lens for $250-$300, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

any why the D40 might you say? Is it because it's a good starter camera? From what I've read the 20d has much better specs, but it's just not as beginner friendly as the Nikon. Thanks for the input guys!:thumbup:

Heres your comparison (based on image quality):

20D vs D40!

As far as image quality goes the 20D will be better, but there are ups to the D40.

The D40 is far more user freindly than the 20D, but it can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses. As far as Canon goes I dont know much because im a Nikon Lover.

If your looking for something easy go for the D40, but the easy way to decide is to go into the shop and feel both in your hands. The problem is the 20D is not available anymore. Also a good thing to think about is the future, if you make the wrong choice it will cost a lot of money to switch over to another company because of lens mounts and what not.

Hope that helps, Dan.

edit: Move this thread to the Products and Reviews or the Beginners forum. The buysell is a place to buy and sell products.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back