WTB Wideangle lens for D70

What are you going to shoot with it? Have you seen the field of view say a 12, 17, and 20mm on your D70? The reason I ask, everybody who has a "D" wants a WA and few ever sell them, but they don't use them as much as they thought they would either. I have a 17-35 and think it's great, but in all honesty, it's heavy and I use my 20mm f/2.8 a lot more often. Mostly because it adds nothing to the size and weight of my kit. I carry everything from 20 - 300mm and two DSLR's. The 17-35 is just like the straw that breaks the camels back. If price is a factor, then you should be able to pick up a 19-35 Tamaron. I have one also, and for the price, it is a decent lens. The build quality is not overly great, but adequate for the money. Good Luck, and let us know what you wind up with.

^he has a good point. if you just need a wide angle, it would probably be better to look into something like the tamron 17-35 (is that what you meant jstuedle?). I also have one and I love mine. If you dont need something super wide, i'd suggest looking into that one or the sigma 18-50 2.8. if you DO want an ultra wide, check out this page, its a great comparison of some of the most popular ones:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

octobers edition of 'Digital Photo' had a review of the latest digital wide angle lenses and the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6mm EX DC HSM came out tops. It was the only one to get five stars in all categorys; Features & Build, Image Quality, Value for money and overall. Beating of competition from nikon and canon amongst others. It was also the cheapest at £335.

The review also showed comparison photograph examples too. Might be worth trying to get a copy of it.

PS. i dont actually own the lens myself or have ever used it. Just thought it might be something to consider :)

I always question product reviews in mag's. For the last 25-30 years it seems the lens or camera advertisers always have a product review that reflects there ad budget in the reviewing mag. The more glossy pages a manufacturer has in say a 6 month run, the better there review. Then you have mag's like Pop-Photo that say nothing bad about anybody for fear they may cut their ad budget. I am not sure about Digital Photo, they are new and don't really have a track record to say one way or the other. Even some of the "independent" review web sites I think are a little jaded once the get a following, a few million hits and start taking ad money to support there site. JMHO, worth what you paid for it.

something like the tamron 17-35 (is that what you meant jstuedle?).

Mine is a 19-35, but the exif data claims its a 20-36. Zoomed as wide as it will go, the exif shows it to be a 20. Go figure. :confused: My 17-35 is a Nikkor f/2.8. A great, sharp lens but heavy a big hunk of glass.

i agree that some magazines are pretty biased. a side by side image comparison is the best way to determine image quality, if it's done right.

jstuedle said:
I always question product reviews in mag's. For the last 25-30 years it seems the lens or camera advertisers always have a product review that reflects there ad budget in the reviewing mag. The more glossy pages a manufacturer has in say a 6 month run, the better there review. Then you have mag's like Pop-Photo that say nothing bad about anybody for fear they may cut their ad budget. I am not sure about Digital Photo, they are new and don't really have a track record to say one way or the other. Even some of the "independent" review web sites I think are a little jaded once the get a following, a few million hits and start taking ad money to support there site. JMHO, worth what you paid for it.

Yes, it's a fair point. I work in advertising myself for a newspaper/media group. They will bend over backwards to keep the advertisers happy, a lot of back scrathing can go on

Thanks for the advice all. I am after a super wideangle because I'm going to be using it to take photos around london. I have a 24mm currently but London is so cramped, that I just can't get far enough away from the objects to get the angles I want.

thebeginning - excellent link, thankyou :) After reading through the options I droped into my local camera shop and purchased the Tokina 12-24mm. First impressions are that it's a lovely lens. Took a few pictures last night but am planning to take it out again today to really run it through it's paces.

Thanks for the help.

Nikon got a 10.5mm , seems quite good
and 12-24 DX , it's ok ,at least better than others company's 12-24..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back