WTB Wideangle lens for D70

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by triggerhappy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

Does anyone have a nice wideangle they want to sell? I'm thinking 12mm preferably but open to offers.

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What are you going to shoot with it? Have you seen the field of view say a 12, 17, and 20mm on your D70? The reason I ask, everybody who has a "D" wants a WA and few ever sell them, but they don't use them as much as they thought they would either. I have a 17-35 and think it's great, but in all honesty, it's heavy and I use my 20mm f/2.8 a lot more often. Mostly because it adds nothing to the size and weight of my kit. I carry everything from 20 - 300mm and two DSLR's. The 17-35 is just like the straw that breaks the camels back. If price is a factor, then you should be able to pick up a 19-35 Tamaron. I have one also, and for the price, it is a decent lens. The build quality is not overly great, but adequate for the money. Good Luck, and let us know what you wind up with.

3. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^he has a good point. if you just need a wide angle, it would probably be better to look into something like the tamron 17-35 (is that what you meant jstuedle?). I also have one and I love mine. If you dont need something super wide, i'd suggest looking into that one or the sigma 18-50 2.8. if you DO want an ultra wide, check out this page, its a great comparison of some of the most popular ones:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

4. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

octobers edition of 'Digital Photo' had a review of the latest digital wide angle lenses and the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6mm EX DC HSM came out tops. It was the only one to get five stars in all categorys; Features & Build, Image Quality, Value for money and overall. Beating of competition from nikon and canon amongst others. It was also the cheapest at £335.

The review also showed comparison photograph examples too. Might be worth trying to get a copy of it.

PS. i dont actually own the lens myself or have ever used it. Just thought it might be something to consider :)

5. jstuedle

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I always question product reviews in mag's. For the last 25-30 years it seems the lens or camera advertisers always have a product review that reflects there ad budget in the reviewing mag. The more glossy pages a manufacturer has in say a 6 month run, the better there review. Then you have mag's like Pop-Photo that say nothing bad about anybody for fear they may cut their ad budget. I am not sure about Digital Photo, they are new and don't really have a track record to say one way or the other. Even some of the "independent" review web sites I think are a little jaded once the get a following, a few million hits and start taking ad money to support there site. JMHO, worth what you paid for it.

6. jstuedle

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine is a 19-35, but the exif data claims its a 20-36. Zoomed as wide as it will go, the exif shows it to be a 20. Go figure. :confused: My 17-35 is a Nikkor f/2.8. A great, sharp lens but heavy a big hunk of glass.

7. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree that some magazines are pretty biased. a side by side image comparison is the best way to determine image quality, if it's done right.

8. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

Yes, it's a fair point. I work in advertising myself for a newspaper/media group. They will bend over backwards to keep the advertisers happy, a lot of back scrathing can go on

9. triggerhappy

triggerhappy TPF Noob!

Thanks for the advice all. I am after a super wideangle because I'm going to be using it to take photos around london. I have a 24mm currently but London is so cramped, that I just can't get far enough away from the objects to get the angles I want.

thebeginning - excellent link, thankyou :) After reading through the options I droped into my local camera shop and purchased the Tokina 12-24mm. First impressions are that it's a lovely lens. Took a few pictures last night but am planning to take it out again today to really run it through it's paces.

Thanks for the help.

10. westman

westman TPF Noob!

Nikon got a 10.5mm , seems quite good
    and 12-24 DX , it's ok ,at least better than others company's 12-24..