www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...is it?

If you know please tell me, I have no clue :confused:

3385629259_95b6d312c2_b.jpg

3385628931_db38905234_b.jpg

ditto.... tent catepillars.

I believe it is a gypsy moth tent in fact. I know these guys have exploded in the midwest in the last several years (and elsewhere for all I know) but in PA you can see stretches of the highway which have 20-30 of those tents on every tree for miles. I went hiking in Bald Eagle State park I believe, in central PA and it must have been when they were emerging as moths, because they were so dense it was like walking a really thick brown flurries of snow. They are kind of gross, but make for interesting subjects if you get up close and find a tent with hundreds of them crawling over it :)

I believe it is a gypsy moth tent in fact. I know these guys have exploded in the midwest in the last several years...
Yup, gypsy moth would be the actual known name. Many do call them tent caterpillers too. Not just in the last several years, they've been coming and going as far back as 1972 at least. I couldn't tell you for sure before 1972 because I wasn't around. Some years they are everywhere and some years you hardly see any. They were real bad, as bad as I've ever seen, back around the mid 80's when I was a kid.

Gypsy moths, -20 F and 24 inches of snow in winter, 100 F and very high humidity in summer, no more spring and fall seasons, and really really crappy jobs, I am ready to get the h*ll out of PA....

Most reactions

Back