WU-1A Self timer?

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by JustJazzie, Nov 15, 2016.

1. JustJazzie

JustJazzie Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Its time to do family christmas photos, and this year I was thinking of upgrading from the 20 second self timer method I have always used in the past, and grabbing this little gadget.

What I am wondering specifically is, if I open the app and have my camera dial set to a self timer-
    Does the self timer stay enabled, giving me time to tuck the phone away before the shot is taken?
    Or, does the app bypass the camera shutter settings and only take an immediate shot?

Thanks for your help!
    Jazzie

2. Alexr25

Alexr25 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, the self-timer will work normally with the WU-1A. All the unit does is trigger the camera the same as a remote cable release would but it seems to me that using the self-timer with the WU-1A rather defeats the purpose. The whole idea of using the remote trigger is that it gives you control of the precise instant of when the shutter is fired, if you add the self-timer you loose that control so may as well just use the self-timer on its own and save yourself the cost of the remote. The unit works by radio so does not need line of sight to work and the transmitter is small enough to hide in the hand so I can't see the need to pocket it before taking a photo.
    This is all assuming that you use it with the WR-T10 transmitter, of course if you use your phone as a trigger it would be somewhat difficult to hide that in your hand.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. JustJazzie

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the info! I had seen mixed reviews on its capabilities, so perhaps its been released in an app update or something.

Actually, the self timer doesn't defeat my purpose for it at all! The last several years, I have posed the family. Triggered the 20 second self timer, Run into my position, hope I am posed correctly (in 20 seconds or less) letting the camera fire 9 shots (or whatever) then running back to the camera, checking my results and then starting over until I get a decent shot.

With the self timer feature- I will be able to SEE myself pose. Get into position, trigger the camera and quickly hide the phone. Since I will be able to actually SEE my pose before hitting the trigger, instead of guessing how I am posed in relation to the lens. Had the self timer not been a feature- It wouldn't fit my needs at all because I wouldn't have time to actually hide the trigger. I am hoping that by being able to see the family posed as a unit, my keeper rate will go up by at least half- but likely, I see it going up much higher than that!

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also use the IR transmitter. The sender is very small, and you can set the shutter to fire 2 seconds after you send the signal. That way, you can get everyone to anticipate the shot 2 seconds after you say the word. Those little IR transmitters are not much money, and they can be very handy. Almost as good as a RF transceiver set, and way cheaper.

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW: I do have the little wireless dongle that plugs into the camera, but using your smart phone to fire the shutter is a lot more involved than the IR controller or a RF set. Personally, I think the best use for that thing is to grab photos from your camera so you can send them immediately on the phone. Yes, it will fire the shutter, but I would not recommend it for that as your primary reason to own it.

6. JustJazzie

Photos OK to edit
    Ive got an IR remote for my sony, so I definitely have experience with that method. The benefit I am looking for here, is being able to see the family posed as a unit VS Hoping I am at the right angle and shooting blind. Obviously, thats doable. Ive done it plenty of times in the past, but I really feel there is value to seeing exactly what my lens is seeing when I am doing self portraits.

7. freddy21

freddy21 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Trigger through the WU-1a works through the use of Liveview. It is slow and somewhat cumbersome as well as the fact it sucks battery life like crazy. All in all for the limited uses of the WU-1A I would definitely consider an infrared remote or infrared remote app for your phone. Most Nikons have two trigger modes for infrared, direct trigger and 2 second delay.
    All that and the WMU app has limited use and refuses to shut down normally and has to be shut down by restarting or digging through settings to close it.