WW2??

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is a picture of my son, and I am going for a World War II look. OTE.

IMG_0037-web2.jpg

OTE?

How do you want it to look? Do you want it to look like ti has been through a war or just from that age? I thikn they tended to have more of a yellow tint to them and lacks the detail you have there.

Hi Daniel, yes, from that age. And yes to the OTE. I should just put that in my sig, but I'll edit my main post. Would the original be better to work from? The image is has horrible blue casts, and that is why I chose it to alter.

Daniel said:
OTE means "OK to Edit". :)

I like the feel... although I think back in WW2 they wore a different hat then the one that's in the photo. and the shirt used to be tan and always with the same color tie.
Other than what he's wearing... I think maybe just add a bit of noise and dirty it up a bit. :thumbup:

here's what I'm talking about... about the clothes...
Burt,Della,%20Turner.jpg

Random picture off of a search on google. :)

Yes, Littleman, ok to edit.

The old beige outfit is why I went so heavy on the Sepia. I've added a lot of noise already and bumped the levels quite a bit. That blue is a Biatch to try to get rid of!

I see your picture. It should be more black and white, but I wasn't having any luck with that conversion. But then again, I'm a total PS newbie, so that isn't saying much.

LittleMan said:
OTE means "OK to Edit". :)

I like the feel... although I think back in WW2 they wore a different hat then the one that's in the photo. and the shirt used to be tan and always with the same color tie.
Other than what he's wearing... I think maybe just add a bit of noise and dirty it up a bit. :thumbup:

No I was asking if it's ok.

Hey elsaspet, this is my attempt at it, I noticed that looking at photos alot seemed to be softer than they are now unless they were taken by what you can tell was a professional photographer so I tried to add that effect alon with gettig the colour. They also didn't seem to have may near white highlights so I tried that aswell.

ww2serious0jp.jpg

And then a worn one for fun

ww2worn6km.jpg

For what it's worth, I tried doing a duotone on the image. It's a bit contrasty because I did it quick - but I prefer using duo's to straight conversions for sepia.
You can play around with the colour you use with greyscale - or use the presets (we are talking PS here).
Tri-tones and quads can be fun, too.

Dayuummmmmm you guys!!!!!!! Those are fantastic! I love them all, but I think you really nailed it with that first one Daniel. It really DOES look like an old WWII photo. I think you are right about the softness.
And Hertz, yours is brillant as well. I think the softness technique might be kinda cool on that one too.

Might I suggest a closer crop around the subject? I'm finding that despite the quality of the 'aging' on some of these shots, the background and the modern shirt/name-tag combo is spoiling the effect for me...

the worn one:hail:... I must learn that! Oh, and correct me if I am wrong but the USAF did not come into existence untile a few years after the end of WWII... not trying to be rude or offensive. I like the idea and when I learn to make pictures look old and "original" looking I will do the same with some of mine!

BTW... is your son in the AF? If so Contragulations to you both!

Most reactions

Back