WW2??

WW2Redux.jpg

How about without the nametag.

LWW

I didn't attempt the ww2 look, but I did adjust the color balance.
cyan/red +23
magenta/green -6
yellow/blue -52

a1a63869.jpg

or
cyan/red +10
magenta/green -6
yellow/blue -74

elsablue2.jpg

hallbilly said:
Oh, and correct me if I am wrong but the USAF did not come into existence untile a few years after the end of WWII...
Not to wander too far off topic into a history lesson but...

Yep, you're correct. Prior to WWII, U.S. aerial forces were know as the U.S. Army Air Corps which was completely subordinate to the U.S. Army. In 1941, it became the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF) and had much more autonomy. The National Security Act of 1947 established the United States Air Force as a completely separate branch of service. Incidentally, the NSA of 1947 also remade the War Department into the Department of Defense.

PetersCreek
MSgt, USAF (Ret)

deb said:
I didn't attempt the ww2 look, but I did adjust the color balance.

I also attempted the color correction. :0)

First I went into curves *ctrl m* and selected the blue channel. I adjusted it to get rid of most of the blueness, but it wasnt perfect.

ay4zyp.jpg

Then there was a bit of a green cast so I adjusted the green channel a bit.

ay5028.jpg

But then I noticed some of the detail was lost in the shirt. So I went to the rgb part and adjusted the highlight area to make it darker.

ay4ztv.jpg

But there was still a bit of a blueness to it. Also my PS teacher suggested adjusting the cyan layer to get a better skin tone, so I tried that. It didnt take much but I like the way it looked after.

ay51cy.jpg

Then I adjusted the cmyk part to help with the brightness a bit, since my previous adjusting messed with that a bit.

ay5010.jpg

And here is the result I got from it. It took longer to save the screen shots than it did to actually do the work, hehe. Oh, and I forgot to save it back to rgb, which is why my uploading didnt work. It has to be rgb to be viewed in web browsers. So this has been saved as jpg at least 3 times now, so there could be compression artifacts.

ay52ts.jpg

My notebook lcd monitor isnt color corrected *if you can color correct lcd's*, so this is all going by eye. The shirt still has a blueish look to me, oh well. :0)

Elsa, playing with the photograph was fun. GerryDavid, thanks for the detail on using curves; I'm a little intimidated by that function and enjoyed the quick lesson.

Most importantly, please tell your son that his service is appreciated. I think that often the negative press fails to let our servicemen know that there are those of us who are behind them 100%. I wish him well.

Thats why I posted the curve shots. At first it is inteimidating, but once you get use to it you wont want to use levels ever again. :0)

Normally I hit auto curves to see how it looks and if I dont like it I hold down ctrl *I think* and the "cancel" turns into "undo" and Ill go from there, using the auto as a guide line.

OMG you guys. I didn't see all the new additions until last night when I was showing a photog friend the magic you all had done. They are all awesome! Thank you sooooo much!

I think the 08/22/05 at 6:30am hit right on the money, this looks very old and still have enuff detail. Goood job

Having a lot of original WW2 photos, I can say that Daniel's (LWW's) variant is the closest tip, but it's too yellow! Photos I have are some 62-64 years old, and still do look decent - very little yellow on'em, though they are very worn-off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back