X-rays (AGAIN!)

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this has been asked before...but what damage will an x-ray do to my 300D?
and im putting my 300V in the hold...will that be ok?

Nothing will happen to your 300D. I've stuck my 350D through a few times already after only having it for a couple of weeks and it's fine.
I'm assuming the 300V is a film camera? Same thing - nothing will happen to it. But if you are using high speed film (400 or higher) - don't leave the film in the camera, coz the checked baggage xray machines are apparently stronger. Take it through in your hand luggage and if it's 800 or more get them to handcheck it. Otherwise jsut chuck it through with your handluggage.

Just think back to last time you broke your arm or something (hopefully never). You know how you get an xray of your bones. The bones show up because the x-rays just bounce right off them (like light) and the dark bits are where the xrays just vanish off into the distance. So your camera is just like the bones - it just bounces right off the metal/plastic.

Meysha said:
Nothing will happen to your 300D. I've stuck my 350D through a few times already after only having it for a couple of weeks and it's fine.
I'm assuming the 300V is a film camera? Same thing - nothing will happen to it. But if you are using high speed film (400 or higher) - don't leave the film in the camera, coz the checked baggage xray machines are apparently stronger. Take it through in your hand luggage and if it's 800 or more get them to handcheck it. Otherwise jsut chuck it through with your handluggage.

Just think back to last time you broke your arm or something (hopefully never). You know how you get an xray of your bones. The bones show up because the x-rays just bounce right off them (like light) and the dark bits are where the xrays just vanish off into the distance. So your camera is just like the bones - it just bounces right off the metal/plastic.

Actually they don't all just bounce off of bone and metal and plastic. A few do, but in fact the majority of xrays get absorbed by bone and metal and plastic and don't transmit through. This is why they show up radio opaque on the film which is behind the xray object. The xrays that don't encounter anything that absorbs them continue on to the film where they react with the film (or sensor as in the luggage scanners) to create the dark portions of the film.

The luggage scanners are quite abit more powerful from the ones at the security checkpoint scanners for your carryons. My local camera store has a camera on display that was melted by xrays. I'd carry on the camera's if I were you. Yours would probably come through just fine like Meysha's but the way I see it, why take the chance? :mrgreen:

Tah guys, thanks a lot hehe, so little time to go...ill try and access the net where I can and post small updates! :D

Don't put any film in your bag that's going into the hold. The X-Rays there are stronger than the ones they use for hand luggage. Your camera should be ok, but given the choice I would carry it in hand luggage.

hehehehe I knew I'd botched that explanation! Ah well. Thanks Rob for clearing it up.

Definitely don't put your camera in the hold. Carry it on the plane. Firstly the X-rays are MUCH stronger for checked baggage but mostly you are subjecting your equipment to rough handling and sticky fingers. Lots of cameras are stolen this way.

I never check my camera equipment. I alway hand carry it on the plane.

Most reactions

Back