x-rays

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by panocho, Apr 24, 2005.

1. panocho

panocho TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've read a lot about airports' x-rays damaging the film, but... is that really so or it's rather another one of those obsesed-exagerations? what do your experiences say?
    As far as I'm concerned, I've been scanned film a lot of times, and never noticed any real damage. And I'm talking about both unexposed and exposed film. Sometimes I did notice some lack of color saturation, for example, but I'm pretty sure that's my fault (bad photographer, you know ;) ) or/and the film I chose, but not x-rays, since that was definitely not a clear fog, or things like that.

Soon I'll be travelling with a lot of film (again, both exposed and unexposed) and I'm becoming a little obsesed, I must confess. Should I really worry about x-rays? what are your experiences?

2. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

It depends on the film speed. If you're just using slow 100 or 200 speed film, then you wont' have any trouble going through airport security a couple times. If you're using 3200 speed, you probably will and should have it handchecked. I am not sure where the breaking point in between is.

3. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its seems logical that X-rays would damage film after all X-rays are just light beyond ultraviolet, but I can't talk from experience so this post really dosn't help you much, sorry :p

4. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never had a roll of film damaged before. But it's always been low ASA never higher than 200. I've looked around a bit on the net and most people say that even low ASA film will be damaged if you x-ray scan it more than 4 or 5 times.
    You also have to remember that different airports might have different strengths of x-ray scanning as well. If in doubt - just get them to hand check it.

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It depends on what you consider acceptable risks. I hand check all film that I am carrying on me, and try to overnight Fed Ex the rest to my destination.

6. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    I have just come back from holiday. My films seem to be fine. I used all 200 though. I think I have heard its 800+ to worry about.