X-T1 vs. D3_ vs. D8xx?

agp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I am looking to get a full frame DSLR after having used my Fuji X-T1 for the past year. I am a fan of the X-T1's compact design, and relative incognito look (especially when I painted all the letters in the front black), but more often than not I find myself yearning for a full frame when shooting landscape, low light, low light landscape, or shooting in close quarters. The things I am looking for in my next camera are as follows, in order of preference: full frame, good low light capabilities, ability to take +/-2 bracketed shots, and lots of sharpness. And having WiFi function / smartphone app would be a big plus.

I have been looking at the D3/D3s and the D800/800e/810, and have found them to be to my liking. Which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Well you mentioned landscape twice and not really fast fps so d810 due it's amazing image quality and resolution

Hi all, I am looking to get a full frame DSLR after having used my Fuji X-T1 for the past year. I am a fan of the X-T1's compact design, and relative incognito look (especially when I painted all the letters in the front black), but more often than not I find myself yearning for a full frame when shooting landscape, low light, low light landscape, or shooting in close quarters. The things I am looking for in my next camera are as follows, in order of preference: full frame, good low light capabilities, ability to take +/-2 bracketed shots, and lots of sharpness. And having WiFi function / smartphone app would be a big plus.

I have been looking at the D3/D3s and the D800/800e/810, and have found them to be to my liking. Which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you in advance for your input!
I don't think either the D3/4 or D800 series have wifi. You have to buy Nikon's ultra expensive and annoyingly awkward add on dongle.

Both will do bracketing and are great in low light. Both cameras are more limited by the sharpness of your lens than what the body is capable of.

If you really want a noticeable increase in resolution and sharpness, you'll probably have to step up to medium format or start doing stitching for landscape with a telephoto.

No built-in WiFi on FX Nikons that I know of, only added-on. I dunno...how about a used D800 at a great price? Those are plentiful now at good prices; only a tiny bit more than the D610 is brand new. I think the 24MP FX is a pretty sweet spot in terms of data recorded, file size, and image size. I looked at your 500px...I think a half-height body (D600 series, D750, D800 series) might be nice for carrying and for going more incognito, rather than a built-in-grip-sized Nikon (which I use and am familiar with). I think the smaller body d-slrs look less obvious, less threatening, than the half-height bodies do. Last week, the D610 was $1497 at B&H Photo with a memory card, a battery, and the MB-XX grip!!!

Something nobody has touched on yet is the weight and size.

It (assuming you get a D800) is double+more the weight of your X-T1.

However, from your suggestions, I would recommend the D800 or E, probably preowned.

Size is a consideration, and is one of the things steering me away from a D3. D800 looks good, and can be had for relatively cheap compared to the others, but I don't need 36MP. I would rather trade some of that MP for some low light performance.

D750 has WiFi!!!
If ultimate pic quality is your goal then the D810 is top of its class, nothing FF or APS-C will be better (maybe the Sony A7R but the poor lens selection is just a big problem).
Consider the D750, if you are willing to consider the D3 then I see no reason not to consider the D750, IQ is superb, low light is superb, AF is superb.
Only advantage Nikon's pro beast (D3, D4) has on the D750 (when it doesnt come to sports shooting) is its low light capabilities but then the D750 has slightly better low light capabilities then the D810.

So if you want WiFi on Nikon FX the D750 is well worth considering.

Good luck.

Well, there you go...if WiFi is really a need, the choice is made, automatically! How easy was that!

I was not even aware of the D750's existence. I thought after D6something came D8something. I will do more research on the 750, thanks!

Have you checked out the Df? Maybe 16mp isn't enough but the low light capabilities are pretty damn good.

You can add a wifi SD card to any camera.

I was not even aware of the D750's existence. I thought after D6something came D8something. I will do more research on the 750, thanks!
I own this camera, its excellent, no real flaws, for the money its (in my eyes) best camera you can get.

D3 is too many generations old, I wouldn't even consider it

It is worse in every category (other than burst FPS) than a D800, whether it's low light, AF, or image quality

D3S however has slightly better low light capabilities, however most second hand sellers try to pawn it off overpriced because it 'looks professional' and once had a 'legendary' status

If you want low light, get A7s or D4s. If you wan't ultimate image quality, get A7r or D810

To be honest though, if you're considering X-T1, then you probably don't need that much image quality, considering if you did, an A7r is not much more expensive than the X-T1 and the image quality is several worlds better

Myself, I would get the Sony A7 II, same full frame sensor as the D750, has in camera stabilisation, can adapt Canon lenses (which is awesome for landscape shooting, namely TS-17mm and 11-24mm F4.0), better image quality than a D3X, better low light than a D3, very decently priced and compact

I have looked at the a7 series, but the lack of lens options is a turn off. I know it can take on all sorts if lenses with adapters and things, but it's just not the same..

Have you checked out the Df? Maybe 16mp isn't enough but the low light capabilities are pretty damn good.

You can add a wifi SD card to any camera.

Yes, the df controls are the most counterintuitive things ever. Not a fan. But I do like its looks though.

I have looked at the a7 series, but the lack of lens options is a turn off. I know it can take on all sorts if lenses with adapters and things, but it's just not the same..
Agreed. I love the A7 but I wouldn't get one till Sony bothers to get more serious with their lens offering to this camera.
To me it makes no sense to buy a Sony camera then attach to it lenses from another maker through an adapter that in most cases will not AF and even if it AF in Canon lenses case it AF really slow.

Most reactions

Back