Xmas card photos of my daughter

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, what type of background would you prefer to see? Outdoors, another color, a scenic/patterned backdrop?
In my case, I have no artistic sense, so I can't tell you what would be better, can only tell you when something doesn't quite work for me. Very helpful, I know :)

What I do like is that it's only the background that's overly white and not your daughter. My facebook feed is overrun with photos from portrait photographers who think white people should be ghostly white and wildly overexposed. Uh...no.

Hahaha, yes very helpful indeed ;) I understand though. And I agree, I have seen many "professional" photos in my Facebook feed that everyone is drooling over and I think to myself "OMG, the TPF people would rip this to shreds!"

I appreciate all of compliments I receive for my photos on Facebook, but I also know where I stand in comparison with the pros here and I constantly remind them that I still have SO much to learn.

maybe a soft maroon with some green. wreath or something? just trying to think Christmas. Nice photos either way they just seem to be lacking in totally pulling off the mood.

maybe a soft maroon with some green. wreath or something? just trying to think Christmas. Nice photos either way they just seem to be lacking in totally pulling off the mood.

Thanks this is helpful to know.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I wanted these to work for two purposes. I wanted to use them for xmas cards but then wanted to be able to hang a couple year round in my home. My daughter absolutely HATES taking pictures so this is a rare moment. Also, the xmas cards themselves are xmas themed and thought it would tie it all together.

I think this is an important point though to know for the future. I will take more time to think about the scene next time. This was a total rush job.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I wanted these to work for two purposes. I wanted to use them for xmas cards but then wanted to be able to hang a couple year round in my home. My daughter absolutely HATES taking pictures so this is a rare moment. Also, the xmas cards themselves are xmas themed and thought it would tie it all together.

Oh, darn! I'm SO disappointed to read that! I think your daughter is beautiful and shows her personality quite well in front of the camera. My hope is that she begins to take it all in stride and become a more willing participant.

So now to my comment: Frankly, if your model was in any kind of mood to help you with more pictures, I would say DON'T try to make the Christmas photos do "double duty". If I could design your setup, I would get her wearing a "Christmassy" stocking cap (for instance), and clowning with something "Christmassy". For the wall-hangers I would just make oodles of pictures of her, (4 or 5 at a time, maybe) inside, outside, different outfits, different toys, different poses, until you got 2 or 3 excellent photos for the archives.

Oh, darn! I'm SO disappointed to read that! I think your daughter is beautiful and shows her personality quite well in front of the camera. My hope is that she begins to take it all in stride and become a more willing participant.

So now to my comment: Frankly, if your model was in any kind of mood to help you with more pictures, I would say DON'T try to make the Christmas photos do "double duty". If I could design your setup, I would get her wearing a "Christmassy" stocking cap (for instance), and clowning with something "Christmassy". For the wall-hangers I would just make oodles of pictures of her, (4 or 5 at a time, maybe) inside, outside, different outfits, different toys, different poses, until you got 2 or 3 excellent photos for the archives.

I know, it's really a bummer...ESPECIALLY for the reasons you mentioned. I'm really happy with how her personality came through despite the fact that she really didn't want to do this. Bribes and deals were made -- that's for sure hahaha. I do hope as she gets older she embraces it and finds it fun instead of a chore.

I agree with all of your comments. I will try to keep the camera out more so I can get a few in here and there instead of overwhelming her with an entire setup!

I like 2, 3, and 4. I like the white background! I'm trying to do some pics like this myself, and is not easy finding just that right balance. Let's face it. It's really your preference as to how bright they are. As far as background options, maybe a red or green sheer (the wife told me about those) from Wally World? They are cheap. I'm not sure if they would work against the white, over the white, or what. Again, I like what you've done. God job!

#3 Is the money shot. it can be layered above almost any background in PS(etc), selected with heavy feathering and voila' you have yourself a 1st class xmas card. (okay, maybe a couple more little tweaks in PS, but not many, and not difficult.)

I like 2, 3, and 4. I like the white background! I'm trying to do some pics like this myself, and is not easy finding just that right balance. Let's face it. It's really your preference as to how bright they are. As far as background options, maybe a red or green sheer (the wife told me about those) from Wally World? They are cheap. I'm not sure if they would work against the white, over the white, or what. Again, I like what you've done. God job!

I appreciate the compliment! Thanks!

#3 Is the money shot. it can be layered above almost any background in PS(etc), selected with heavy feathering and voila' you have yourself a 1st class xmas card. (okay, maybe a couple more little tweaks in PS, but not many, and not difficult.)

I love #3 too -- very fun! I might try playing with it -- not sure if I have the skills to do it and make it look right.

#3 seems to be popular but I'm obsessed with #1. I had been calling that my "money shot" to others and it is my favorite.

I'm obsessed with #1. I had been calling that my "money shot" to others and it is my favorite.

Yes, I agree that #1 is the money shot. The best expression, pose, lighting, and balance IMO.

I like these a lot, you got some great expressions.
I have no problem with the lighting or the whiteness of the background, but then I'm a white background kind of guy myself. :D

I like these a lot, you got some great expressions.
I have no problem with the lighting or the whiteness of the background, but then I'm a white background kind of guy myself. :D

Awesome, thanks! :)

I personally like them all. I think they turned out great, especially for having had no previous studio experience. WTG.

I keep coming back to these. I really love them. I think the white background is perfect. I prefer solid colors to backgrounds that have scenery on them. I think you did a really great job. And your daughter is adorable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back