xmas gift ideas for beginning photographer!

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys. i have been debating on what to get my lil cousin for xmas as a nice lil gift for her first slr. I was loooking at filters and filter kits and have settled for the black and white filter kit from tiffen. im trying to spend under 40 and dont have any other good ideas. if you dont think it would be a cool gift let me know. there is also the starter kit that includes the warming filter/uv/circuler polarizer. i think since she is into the bw photography the bw kit would be a better choice but everywhere they are out of stock.

i just want to note that she is very good with photoshop and maybe the filters to her are useless? im not sure

You could go for something like a spare battery, sd/cf card, camera strap, wireless remote, maybe even a camera bag. I wouldn't recommend buying cheap filters to use because they will only take away IQ from the pictures. Something like a hoya filter is nice but also more expensive and probably over budget. A cheap filter will give you a lot of flare and other unwanted issues. Hope that helped.
TJ

You could go for something like a spare battery, sd/cf card, camera strap, wireless remote, maybe even a camera bag. I wouldn't recommend buying cheap filters to use because they will only take away IQ from the pictures. Something like a hoya filter is nice but also more expensive and probably over budget. A cheap filter will give you a lot of flare and other unwanted issues. Hope that helped.
TJ

i was always thougt tiffens are the best but i see a lot of people rockin the hoyas. maybe just a hoya uv filter?

Ya a UV is always nice to have to protect that glass.
TJ

a remote switch and extra battery seem to be a good idea

what kinda photos does she like taking? i'm a beginner myself, and my dad bought me a flash for christmas so i could learn how to use it. i bought myself diffuser on ebay (which hasnt arrived yet... it's been 3 weeks... should definitely check up on it...)... i think a diffuser would be great if she's into using flash for her photos. you can most likely find 1 or 2 for around $40-60... depending on what kind you get. plus, learning how to use a flash properly is extremely useful for taking well lit photos. :p

Forget the B&W filter set. About the only filters needed in digital photography are NDs and CPol and cheap filters can do more harm than good to your images.

How about the book that everyone here talks about: "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. List price is $26.00

Probably a little boring seeing that everyone likes to open a gift thats been wrapped etc but how about, a special day out (New York City or somewhere) on a photo tour with you, just the two of you talking photography, taking pictures, learning, take her for lunch etc etc..........

i didnt think about a book! i baught the Remote Switch RS-60E3 from adorama on amazon shipped for 20.80 .... sweet deal. i was trying to figure out if that was compatible with my 5d although i almost have no use for it lol .... thanks a lot guys. the remote switch is more than enough, it was perfect for my budget and i think shell get a lot of use out of it. (i did not note that she is going to parsons for photography, i think parsons?)

^ Either that or The Digital Photography Books 1, 2 & 3 by Scott Kelby.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with books one and two of that series. Understanding Exposure was way more informative and useful.

Probably a little boring seeing that everyone likes to open a gift thats been wrapped etc but how about, a special day out (New York City or somewhere) on a photo tour with you, just the two of you talking photography, taking pictures, learning, take her for lunch etc etc..........

I like this idea. Best outside the box idea in the thread. Also, the Cotswold's are beautiful. You live in a splendidly scenic place!

Most reactions

Back