xmas gift ideas for beginning photographer!

Probably a little boring seeing that everyone likes to open a gift thats been wrapped etc but how about, a special day out (New York City or somewhere) on a photo tour with you, just the two of you talking photography, taking pictures, learning, take her for lunch etc etc..........

I like this idea. Best outside the box idea in the thread. Also, the Cotswold's are beautiful. You live in a splendidly scenic place!

I also like this idea alot.

You could go for something like a spare battery, sd/cf card, camera strap, wireless remote, maybe even a camera bag. I wouldn't recommend buying cheap filters to use because they will only take away IQ from the pictures. Something like a hoya filter is nice but also more expensive and probably over budget. A cheap filter will give you a lot of flare and other unwanted issues. Hope that helped.
TJ

:thumbup:

I'm thinking in your budget, you probably ought to stick to the necessary accessories. Beyond the UV filter, I don't know many people who even use filters on a regular bases--except the polarizer sometimes. And, even the UV filter ends up being just a protective surface and a cheap one does nearly as well as an expensive one.

Second the Gorillapod suggestion.

What are these generally used for and do they work good?

I think it would be cool to have one for inside and for doing some close up shots, which one would you recommend for a Nikon D40 there are several different kinds of them?

I kind of prefer the Understanding Photography field guide, by Bryan Peterson.

I also carry a Gorilla Pod in my pack...

Second the Gorillapod suggestion.

What are these generally used for and do they work good?

I think it would be cool to have one for inside and for doing some close up shots, which one would you recommend for a Nikon D40 there are several different kinds of them?
Joby Gorillapod SLR Tripod Review

I don't have one, but I've already had 6 or 7 occasions this week when they would have made life much easier!

Nice thanks for the link, I might pick one of those up.

^ Either that or The Digital Photography Books 1, 2 & 3 by Scott Kelby.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with books one and two of that series. Understanding Exposure was way more informative and useful.

I disagree, if you're read Understanding Exposure, some of the stuff is redundant, but there are still some very good things for beginners in both. I didn't know there was a 3rd one, I'll have to pick it up.

a remote switch and extra battery seem to be a good idea

maybe a gift certificate to a good camera shop that way your not getting them something they do not really need.

2009 Zombie Thread LIVES!!!!!

zombiethread1.jpg

All great suggestions. I was gonna suggest books as a stocking stuffer. There's LOTS of books on various aspects of Photography.

Most reactions

Back