Xmas gift

bia.migueis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, My husband is into photography and he's been using one of those advanced point and shoot cameras. I decided to get him a real DSLR for xmas but I cant decide which one. He really likes Nikon so I was thinking about either D3200 or D5200 but I don't know enough about photography to make an informed decision so I decided to post here. His main thing is macro shots of flowers or those awesome pictures of humming birds/bees where you can actually see their wings still. He would also be using the camera for some videos of our 3d printer where the more detail w can capture in the video the better.

Please let me know which one you think I should get and also any lens (decent priced please) that might be good for that. My budget on this is about 700$ and I've found the 3200 for 500$ (which gives me some room to get accessories) and the 5200 for 700$ (bundle with external flash, replacement battery, 52mm 0.45x Wide Angle Lens w/ Pouch and Caps and 52mm 2x Telephoto Lens W/ Pouch)

Thanks for any input you can give me :D

Bia, I think you will find that the "wide angle lens" and the "2x telephoto lens" really aren't worth much of anything at all - they are cheaply made and generally give really terrible results so for the most part if you can find a D5200 without them for a little less that might be a better option.

Both the D5200 and the D3200 are nice cameras, both will produce very good results. Since you mentioned your husband is into photography my recommendation between the two would be the D5200. It will be easy enough for him to use if he's used a point and shoot, and it will be a camera that he can grow into as he starts to learn more about DSLR's and how to shoot in manual modes (assuming he hasn't already using his point and shoot). But I think you can get a better deal on a D5200 than the one you listed, for example:

Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera w 18 55mm F 3 5 5 6g VR Black Refurbished 1503 B 018208015030 | eBay

That would get you the camera and the lens and leave you room for some accessories like a nice camera bag to put the equipment in and maybe a few other add ons.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Buying a camera for someone else is a very tricky thing, particularly if you know nothing.
That commits him to a certain brand and is an expensive step to take.
It may be completely not what he wants and is a big commitment.

Why not get a tiny toy camera, wrap it in a box with a gift card for as much as you want to spend and then he will have the fun of choosing for himself.

I have a standing policy included in my gift-giving.

If you don't like what I got you, I won't be offended if you want to return or exchange it. Just ask, and I'll give you the receipt (unless the store has a 'gift receipt' available at purchase, then I just tape it to the box).

I say go for the 5200 and a kit lens. The should keep him more than happy and busy for a couple years. The learning curve will be high but that's half the fun.

I don't really recommend those big bundle deals. It feels like a great deal because you're getting all this stuff, but really, most of it is crap.

Yes, what bc_steve wrote!

While you're comparing prices, compare as closely as possible the exact same stuff from two or more dealers. More than likely you will not find the same exact deals offered by even two dealers.

Or you can price the kit with the body and a lens (the same lens, please) to compare prices.

Yes, I've actually bought a kit like that, but it was the camera, two lenses, a very small (way too small) bag, cheap tripod, extra battery, and I think some other stuff. But as Steve wrote; the deals are comprised of mainly a lot of inexpensive bits and bobs that may or may not ever be used. Or are just too cheap to be any good.

Just look for a deal with the camera and one lens. He can always get better lenses later. And a speedlight. And a decent bag. And a good tripod. And another lens. And and and...

I agree with bc_steve and Designer. I'm just starting out and I quickly came to the conclusion that those "Bundles" had crap in them. I bought a "kit" that came with 2 lenses. And as I grow, I'll purchase the other items that I need, such as a tripod, flash, extra battery and memory card etc. Good luck and hope he likes whatever you decide...

Most reactions

Back