XSi being phased out?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Eyetattoo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Eyetattoo

Eyetattoo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I stopped by a camera shop today and in talking with the staff they mentioned that the XSi was being phased out. Any truth to that statement?

2. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Er, well, sure. Canon's busy manufacturing their 500D now.

3. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Newer stuff comes out all the time. My camera has been out of date for a few years now...

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yah don't let it worry you - phased out just means they are going to stop production and let stock run down on its own through sales. They will still sell all the accessory parts (battery grip etc...) for the XSi for some time to come and they will still be able to repair them for a long time to come.

5. JustAnEngineer

JustAnEngineer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some Target stores have had the Rebel XSi + 18-55 IS kit on clearance for $450 this month. Good luck finding one at that price, though.

Most DSLR camera bodies don't stay around for very long (except for the ancient low-end Nikon D40, which is three years old). The Rebel XSi has been out for a year and a half.

Consider this a vivid example of why it makes sense to allocate a larger portion of your budget for good lenses, rather than paying a premium to have the latest and greatest camera body that brings only incremental improvements over the previous model.

Of course, if a new model comes along that has a quantum leap in capability or features over the lower-priced ones and those features matter to you, then it would make sense to get the newer and better camera.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009