XSi: What else do I need?

Ronniedee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm really enjoying this forum and learning so much. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

After using a Canon ELPH for the last several years, I recently ordered my first DSLR-- a Canon Xsi/450D with the 18-55 IS kit lens plus a 55-250 IS lens, along with an 8GB SDHC memory card. In addition to that, what would you recommend I get right off the bat to complement/protect my investment?

Should I go ahead and get UV and circular polorizer filters as protection and image enhancement? If so, what size? Will HOYA multi-coated be OK or overkill for a beginner?

I'm sure I'll eventually want some kind of bag to carry my gear in, but that's so personalized I figured it'd be clear what my needs are after owning the camera for a while. My heart is already set on eventually picking up the nifty-fifty prime lens and one of the Speedlites, but I want to spend some time becoming proficient with what I've already ordered first; not to mention that I cannot afford everything I want yet.

Is there anything else you'd recommend I consider getting early on?

Right now, I expect my uses to vary, since I am new to this and haven't established my special interest. I will take pictures indoors of family, outdoors at social events/concerts, my son's sports, and landscapes/wildlife.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sounds like you have a good setup. Get a bag, and a camera strap (duh).

I think you'll be ecstatic with what you have. Polarizer filters are nice, but definitely get a uv filter. I don't think you need a super-expensive UV filter, as they're pretty simple technology and whatnot.

You don't need a UV filter. It's been said here a number of times. Often a lens hood is better. Definately get a good circular polarizer.

Ya I would say get a nice backpack or whatever other style you may like of a gear bag. I personally went with the backpack style because I am on the move a lot and want it secure and on my back ready to go. I go the "Flipside 200" by Lowepro and am VERY happy with it! The zipper is on the side that is against your back so it prevents someone from getting into your bag while your walking or standing somewhere... its really a nice feature!

As an XSi owner, let me suggest a couple of items:

First, I absolutely have to recommend the 50mm 1.8/f lens. I realize you already purchased two lenses, but the quality you will get for your ~100.00 investment is VERY MUCH worth it.

Second, if you really want to improve your flash photography, get a Speedlite so you can give directional light to your subject (so important).

If you have more money to blow, I would puchase the battery grip. It's great to be able to hold the camera in portrait position and the extra battery life makes it worth every penny (I hate being low on battery). This suggestion means you would also have to purchase another Li-ion battery (or you can use 6AA's).

EDIT: Oh, and Montana's suggestion is probably more important than any of my own!

Last edited:
I agree with Clawed... just spend the extra money on the Canon brand grip... I have been reading terrible reviews about the off brand ones getting stuck in the cameras and not working at all

You don't need a UV filter. It's been said here a number of times. Often a lens hood is better. Definately get a good circular polarizer.

Yeah, that's something I wish I had known starting out. *rolls eyes at himself* I've noticed no difference whatsoever in IQ on my lenses with and without UV filters. If I want lens flare I might toss it on though. (Now that I have ND's I keep putting them on or taking them off, and it's just a PITA to put a UV back on constantly. o_O )

I very much disagree about the grip. You can survive without one quite easily. (Also, I bloody well don't want to look like a pro most of the time, so that I'm—hopefully—less intimidating to people I approach on the street.) It's just money that could be spent somewhere else. My opinion is that battery grips are more about looking like "srs bzns", less about battery life (for the same price or less you can just buy a second battery for the camera).

I'll say that I had/have an almost identical set-up starting out, and it will serve you very well. You've got plenty of flexibility there. If you can afford to get the EF 50mm f/1.4 over the f/1.8 I'd go for it, but if not, the latter is good option.

I'm with Mike, the next thing really aught to be a tripod. Get a sturdy tripod and you will be a happy camper. Flash is awesome, but you need to get it off camera to really use it effectively, so keep that in mind.

And a backpack is great too. Get a LowePro and life will be good when you're out shooting. :D

I definitely did not suggest the grip is a must-have, but I really love having it. Also, I purchased it before a wedding shoot, so having two batteries loaded (to me) was an absolute must. Plus, it gives the small XSi a much more solid feel. It just depends on the OPs preferences, but I thought I would throw it in the mix. But again, tripod IS a must, and a good prime lens and dedicated flash unit arent too far behind. I disagree about having to get the flash unit off-camera for it to be really effective though, you just have to put some thought into it's use (see Planetneil.com to see what I mean).

Canon makes a really good backpack if you want to go that route. It's relatively cheap too. Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246574836&sr=8-1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
no no I wasn't saying he should get the grip or that you said her defiantly should get it, but it does seem like a good idea to stick with the Canon brand name

no no I wasn't saying he should get the grip or that you said her defiantly should get it, but it does seem like a good idea to stick with the Canon brand name
I agree whole-heartedly, stick with the Canon brand :thumbup:

I definitely did not suggest the grip is a must-have, but I really love having it. Also, I purchased it before a wedding shoot, so having two batteries loaded (to me) was an absolute must. Plus, it gives the small XSi a much more solid feel. It just depends on the OPs preferences, but I thought I would throw it in the mix. But again, tripod IS a must, and a good prime lens and dedicated flash unit arent too far behind. I disagree about having to get the flash unit off-camera for it to be really effective though, you just have to put some thought into it's use (see Planetneil.com to see what I mean).

Canon makes a really good backpack if you want to go that route. It's relatively cheap too. Here's a link:
Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Electronics

Maybe I came-off a little jaded. I've just seen and heard plenty of people toting battery grips and how it makes them look more "pro". My reaction to that is "Um...good for you? Won't make your pictures any better." I think that feeling was a little fresh in my mind. No offence mate. ;)

On-camera flash limits you, always. I've found that shooting with the flash off-camera in my left hand is more intuitive for me when I'm running and gunning (actually, the 450D being so light is actually a boon in that regard). Bouncing it somewhere is as easy as turning it in that direction, instead of messing with the swivel. And it's impossible to bounce it to the right of you with the camera oriented vertically unless you reverse it...

That's all just my opinion based on my little experience. For me, it's easier and faster to get it off-camera and point it where I want to. *shrugs*

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ive read several posts about this $100 50mm f1.8.....where do i get it...searches yield nothing

ive read several posts about this $100 50mm f1.8.....where do i get it...searches yield nothing

Here is a Link For Canada

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens DSLR Lenses Full Frame 2514A002 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

And One for the US

Canon | Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens | 2514A002 | B&H

I have beem looking a getting a couple of little toys to try and make better use of what I have until I can get the better toys, here is the main thing I have been looking at.

Gary Fong The Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser Camera Mounted Flash PUF-Retail - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Most reactions

Back