XSi: What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ronniedee, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Ronniedee

Ronniedee TPF Noob!

Hi,
    I'm really enjoying this forum and learning so much. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

After using a Canon ELPH for the last several years, I recently ordered my first DSLR-- a Canon Xsi/450D with the 18-55 IS kit lens plus a 55-250 IS lens, along with an 8GB SDHC memory card. In addition to that, what would you recommend I get right off the bat to complement/protect my investment?

Should I go ahead and get UV and circular polorizer filters as protection and image enhancement? If so, what size? Will HOYA multi-coated be OK or overkill for a beginner?

I'm sure I'll eventually want some kind of bag to carry my gear in, but that's so personalized I figured it'd be clear what my needs are after owning the camera for a while. My heart is already set on eventually picking up the nifty-fifty prime lens and one of the Speedlites, but I want to spend some time becoming proficient with what I've already ordered first; not to mention that I cannot afford everything I want yet.

Is there anything else you'd recommend I consider getting early on?

Right now, I expect my uses to vary, since I am new to this and haven't established my special interest. I will take pictures indoors of family, outdoors at social events/concerts, my son's sports, and landscapes/wildlife.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like you have a good setup. Get a bag, and a camera strap (duh).

I think you'll be ecstatic with what you have. Polarizer filters are nice, but definitely get a uv filter. I don't think you need a super-expensive UV filter, as they're pretty simple technology and whatnot.

3. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't need a UV filter. It's been said here a number of times. Often a lens hood is better. Definately get a good circular polarizer.

4. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    tripod maybe?

5. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya I would say get a nice backpack or whatever other style you may like of a gear bag. I personally went with the backpack style because I am on the move a lot and want it secure and on my back ready to go. I go the "Flipside 200" by Lowepro and am VERY happy with it! The zipper is on the side that is against your back so it prevents someone from getting into your bag while your walking or standing somewhere... its really a nice feature!

6. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

As an XSi owner, let me suggest a couple of items:

First, I absolutely have to recommend the 50mm 1.8/f lens. I realize you already purchased two lenses, but the quality you will get for your ~100.00 investment is VERY MUCH worth it.

Second, if you really want to improve your flash photography, get a Speedlite so you can give directional light to your subject (so important).

If you have more money to blow, I would puchase the battery grip. It's great to be able to hold the camera in portrait position and the extra battery life makes it worth every penny (I hate being low on battery). This suggestion means you would also have to purchase another Li-ion battery (or you can use 6AA's).

EDIT: Oh, and Montana's suggestion is probably more important than any of my own!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tripod.

8. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Clawed... just spend the extra money on the Canon brand grip... I have been reading terrible reviews about the off brand ones getting stuck in the cameras and not working at all

9. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, that's something I wish I had known starting out. *rolls eyes at himself* I've noticed no difference whatsoever in IQ on my lenses with and without UV filters. If I want lens flare I might toss it on though. (Now that I have ND's I keep putting them on or taking them off, and it's just a PITA to put a UV back on constantly. o_O )

I very much disagree about the grip. You can survive without one quite easily. (Also, I bloody well don't want to look like a pro most of the time, so that I'm—hopefully—less intimidating to people I approach on the street.) It's just money that could be spent somewhere else. My opinion is that battery grips are more about looking like "srs bzns", less about battery life (for the same price or less you can just buy a second battery for the camera).

I'll say that I had/have an almost identical set-up starting out, and it will serve you very well. You've got plenty of flexibility there. If you can afford to get the EF 50mm f/1.4 over the f/1.8 I'd go for it, but if not, the latter is good option.

I'm with Mike, the next thing really aught to be a tripod. Get a sturdy tripod and you will be a happy camper. Flash is awesome, but you need to get it off camera to really use it effectively, so keep that in mind.

And a backpack is great too. Get a LowePro and life will be good when you're out shooting. :D

10. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

I definitely did not suggest the grip is a must-have, but I really love having it. Also, I purchased it before a wedding shoot, so having two batteries loaded (to me) was an absolute must. Plus, it gives the small XSi a much more solid feel. It just depends on the OPs preferences, but I thought I would throw it in the mix. But again, tripod IS a must, and a good prime lens and dedicated flash unit arent too far behind. I disagree about having to get the flash unit off-camera for it to be really effective though, you just have to put some thought into it's use (see Planetneil.com to see what I mean).

Canon makes a really good backpack if you want to go that route. It's relatively cheap too. Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246574836&sr=8-1

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no no I wasn't saying he should get the grip or that you said her defiantly should get it, but it does seem like a good idea to stick with the Canon brand name

12. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

I agree whole-heartedly, stick with the Canon brand :thumbup: