XT or XTi

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by leopardforest, Jun 22, 2007.

1. leopardforest

leopardforest TPF Noob!

I am beginner photographer and I recently took a B&W film photography class and not to be cocky, my instructors feel that I am a pretty good photographer and have an eye for taking decent (sorry I haven't digitized any of my film yet) pictures.

So I want to go to digital and I have narrowed it down to either the Canon XT or XTi. Any advice would be great!! Thanks!

leo

2. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

i bought the XTi from dell becuase it was only $80 more than the XT, it was worth the extra $$$ for the extra mega pixel (XT is 8mp, xti is 10mp)

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The XTi is the newer version of the XT and has many improvements. If the price is close, get the XTi. If there is a significant price difference, the XT is still a very good camera.

4. leopardforest

leopardforest TPF Noob!

I do realize that the XTi has 2 million more pixels than the Xt but other than that, what makes it better, such as user interface, the larger screen and anything else that I am missing that makes it a better buy? I would like that higher res. but I am wondering it it is really worth it?

5. leopardforest

leopardforest TPF Noob!

On B&H they have the XT and XTi with 18-55 lens and a 2gb memory card for $604 and $806 respectively. Is the $200 worth it?

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't recall all the differences off hand, but the XTi does have an anti-dust sensor. Also, the layout is different. Best bet would be to hold both and see which you like best. $200 might be a significant difference, you could put that money toward a better lens or a flash etc.

7. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when i bought mine, dell was running the great sale so it was only 80 and was worth the upgrade - if it was 200 - i would have bought the xt and then got my 70-300mm lens

8. leopardforest

leopardforest TPF Noob!

I am also wondering: The XT and XTi both come with a 18-55 lens. Is it a good all around lens? I was thinking that I would buy just the camera body and get the Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens to start off, because it is very similar to the lens that I use on my film camera and I like the results that I have gotten. Then later I can buy a better zoom lens such as Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 Autofocus Lens?
    It would save me a little but not a lot.

9. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 18-55 Canon kit lens is not considered to be a very good lens. The 50mm will give much better quality but keep in mind that on a XT or XTi the 50mm will be equivalent to 80mm (due to 1.6 crop factor of the APS-c size sensor). Equally, a 28-105mm zoom will not be that wide on a XT or XTi.

10. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Absolutely, positively no question in my mind... XTi.

11. leopardforest

leopardforest TPF Noob!

I have heard of the crop factor but I do not completely understand it? I have never used a wide angle lens so I am not sure how much they distort the photo? So how would the photo look with that type of lens that I mentioned above?

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not a great lens...however, it may be the best $100 zoom lens you will find. As mentioned, the cameras in question have what we call the 'crop factor'. The result is that lenses 'feel' longer on the digital bodies. So a 28-105 won't be wide angle at all. The 50mm is a great lens at a great price, no problem there.