Xti, D40, or D80?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

After months of searching I am still confused over what DSLR to get as my first one. It is pretty much a toss-up between the Canon XTi, Nikon D40, and D80. I'll start by saying what I like about each camera and don't like.

D40: Small, Cheap, a fair choice for an enthusiast like myself. That being said, I dislike how it does not have an in body auto focus motor.

Xti: Small, Relatively inexpensive, In body AF-S motor. I do not really feel confident about buying a Canon camera, I am more familiar with Nikon. I also do not really like the cheap build quality of the XTi.

D80: It's fairly expensive (for me). I would be breaking the bank if I were to buy it.

Now, I am an enthusiast. I would be using the camera to take pictures of everything. The first year, I would probably only stick with 1 or 2 lenses, and maybe a 50mm prime. I want to spend as little as possible, but still end up with a good camera. The most I want to spend is $1200 Canadian including all needed accessories, taxes, shipping, etc.

What I really want is a camera that will last me a good 2 or 3 years without me having to buy another body because it lacks a certain feature or spec that I find myself needing, such as in body auto focus.

Cheers!

Also, quick question. Are more companies now making the bulk of their new lenses Af-S?

Also, quick question. Are more companies now making the bulk of their new lenses Af-S?

Well kinda sorta not really. Sigma is starting to make quite a few HSM lenses and nikon has some nice AF-S lenses. But i dont think you should be worried about the future, the downside is you cant use older AF lenses that are very good and still cheap.

And if you want a body that will last you go for the D80 for sure.

I'm not really interested in the XSi. Many people have told me that it is the Xti, plus live view, and not worth the extra $$$

I would recommend getting the D40 and putting the remainder of your money toward good accessories; lenses, filters and a tripod. The camera body is only a device to record the image; the accessories (and of course you) are what compose the image. A cheap camera with good glass is a hundred times better than a good camera with cheap glass! FWIW, I have the same feelings about the build-quality of the Rebel line...

Just my $00.02 worth - your opinion may vary.

I would recommend getting the D40 and putting the remainder of your money toward good accessories; lenses, filters and a tripod. The camera body is only a device to record the image; the accessories (and of course you) are what compose the image. A cheap camera with good glass is a hundred times better than a good camera with cheap glass!

The D80 is not in the same class as the other bodies mentioned. If you can afford it, I would go with this. It's a body that you won't outgrow easily, and you can add glass as you go. The problem with this assumption is that it's a lot more cost-effective to start with a body and acquire high-end glass as you go than to buy a low-end camera and replace it in a year or two.

I would stretch for the D80 if it's at all reasonable, and if price is a concern, I wouldn't rule out a K10D, which can be scored pretty cheap these days and is one of the best bang for the buck cameras around.

Well, obviously, the D80 is going to be the "best" of the cameras. But I'll be the echo and say that glass comes first! I'd skip the D40 only because I feel that the lack of an autofocus motor in the body is just too big of a negative, especially for a beginner who won't want to spend a grand on their first new lens past the kit.

It really just comes down to personal preference.

What does the d40 build quality have that the Rebel does not?

Ergonomics and an overall sturdier feel from what i've observed.

OP - Look at the 30D. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new generation of cameras, but it's still pretty sturdy and is more than capable. They're about $700ish new for just the body, iirc.

That would give you a prosumer body with an entry level price.

I disagree with most of you.

My DEADSET opinion on the situation, considering his budget, is to go for the D40. GLASS IS ALL THAT MATTERS (Unless of course we're talking about a D3 here (LUST)).

With that much money left over, he could go for an 18-200 VR and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM.

:D

I disagree with most of you.

My DEADSET opinion on the situation, considering his budget, is to go for the D40. GLASS IS ALL THAT MATTERS (Unless of course we're talking about a D3 here (LUST)).

With that much money left over, he could go for an 18-200 VR and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM.

:D

This advice wasn't bad...until after you tell the OP that glass is all that matters and reccomend the 18-200. It's soft. It's not good glass. At least reccomend something like the 70-200 2.8 VR

Most reactions

New Topics

Back