XTi vs 30D vs 20D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by StreetShark, Apr 22, 2007.

1. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

Can some one give me advantages and disadvantages to each as well as differences and similarities.

2. Layton

Layton TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well i will just say...

If your going to get the XTi, don't, pay a little more and get the 30d or a used 20d.

OR

If your going to get the XTi, dont, pay a little less and get the XT.

you can find information about those cameras , here -http://www.dpreview.com/

3. nabero

nabero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is there a reason why you're advising against the XTi?

I would recommend checking out the specs on a site as suggested above. I recently bought an XTi, and I'm really happy with my purchase. As a beginner to the dslr world, I think it's a great choice at a good price.

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    XTi is certainly a good camera but the "extras" are probably not worth the money. THe 9 point AF is probably the best thing with the larger screen.

20D and 30D are easier cameras to use. Changing ISO you select the ISO button and rotate the dial.In the XTi it's a menu based amendment.Stillquick but not as easy.

30D has spot meteringand a larger screen than the 20D.

Donot put much value into 10Mp vs 8Mp.

Do the checks on google. Go to dpreview and look at the specs of each and make up your own mind. Personally I didn't like the sizeof the XT (or XTi) 20D/30D feels more like a real camera.

5. StreetShark

StreetShark TPF Noob!

Yea thats what I was thinking to. I have held the XT and It just feels like I'm holding my Kodak Z650. I hear the 30D is bigger and stronger. The only problem is if I get the 30D I can't get a lens and I'll have to use my 28-90mm which is not that great. At the same time thats not so bad because I can get a 50mm f/1.8 for passing and a SIGMA 28-70MM 2.8 EX DG for my birthday.

6. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do you mean the Sigma 24-70f2.8? It's a decent lens. 50f1.8 too is a decent lens although plastic and cheap it does produce great results.

Buy the 20D - not that different and if you want to upgrade you could probably sell without much loss.

7. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just to put it out there if you get a battery grip (you can get an opteka off amazon w/ 2 batteries for about $100. Ihave had mine for a few months and it is great.) it makes the an xt or xti feel much bigger and more comfortable to hold and a little bit heavier.

As far as which camera I have been happy enough with my xt

8. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont know how much used 20D's cost, but I'd try to spring for the 30D if you can. It is a very nice camera with a gorgeous LCD. The camera feels so much better than the XT, just bigger and more solid I guess you would say.

9. GreenSlime89

GreenSlime89 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here in Scotland, I bought a used 20D body only with all the papers, cables and a spare battery pack for £380 and bought the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 Mk II for £70. It was completely worth it as I've been very limited with photography equipment but was completely unbiased when I looked into the 20D. I read the reviews, checked what else was on offer and bought it. I'm very pleased with my camera and regret nothing. The small screen isn't that limiting and I've never used spot metering so I've not missed it. If you don't mind having an older model go for this and you could maybe buy a good lens with the money you save.