Ya! Dude!

The Kentuckian was arrested Sunday evening in Hillview, Kentucky, just south of Louisville and charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment. He was released the following day. The Hillview Police Department did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.

He gets an A+ for arrogance and idiocy in my book!

I agree with his sentiment 100% but discharging a firearm an urban back yard? That sort of mentality is what generates stereotypes!

Wait, what?

He was arrested? for what?

There's just way too much insanity.

"charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment."

Criminal mischief? Really?

Wait, what?

He was arrested? for what?

There's just way too much insanity.

"charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment."

Criminal mischief? Really?
I don't get the criminal mischief either; reckless endangerment makes sense. I'm curious about the "ownership" of airspace in the US; is there an altitude below which it's considered as belonging to the home-owner?

It is against the law in virtually any US municipality to discharge a firearm within the city limits, except in the case of LEGAL use of force...even "firing a warning shot" has landed people in jail and court...blasting an $1,800 drone in the airspace above one's home would probably fall into the "criminal" spectrum, and is probably a catch-all charge designed to encompass illegal discharge of a firearm, willful destruction of private property, menacing of the men who owned the drone and who showed up, and recklessly endangering the town/neighbors. As far as his claim that #8 birdshot is harmless...not so much when it rains down...there are over 500 pellets in each average 12-gauge low-base load of 8's...and he shot three times into the air--enough shot to blind some kid six to ten blocks away out playing, or somebody just walking along. Our Kentucky genius threatened people with being shot, while wearing an openly carried pistol...that is menacing. All in all, a series of criminal acts, each with legal penalties.

His next logical step: Getting out his scope-sighted .300 Win Magnum deer rifle and firing shots at a news helicopter...you know, because it was "hu'vrin!"

It is kind of a silly name for the activity, but yes, Criminal Mischief refers to the unlawful destruction of property:

"Under the laws of Kentucky, the charge of criminal mischief is a criminal offense related to damage to property. It can be done deliberately, or carelessly, if you knowingly commit some action that endangers, or could reasonably be dangerous and reckless. The more serious the cost of the damage, the more strict the charge is, and the resulting penalties if convicted."

First, Second, and Third degrees differ by the value of the property damaged.

Kentucky Criminal Mischief Laws - KY Criminal Mischief Arson Penalties

As for shooting down drones it don't take a firearm, a good BB gun will do it, and a slingshot more fun. If you are going to fire a weapon in an urban area why waste the criminal charge on the drone...go for the operator! ;)

btw drones with unshielded open blades are legally considered a danger (when I say legally I mean if they hurt or do damage the operator can be taken to court and sued to hell and gone.). One flying low over your yard 'endangers' person and pets alike.

This is far more fun.
CT-2090%20(3)_S-500x500.JPG

Hit the switch and the drone is on it's own. Nothing like cutting the signal between the flyer and the drone. Never know where that baby will end up, and if it is programed to go into hover mode then you have a new lawn ornament when the battery dies.

This is far more fun.

Hit the switch and the drone is on it's own. Nothing like cutting the signal between the flyer and the drone. Never know where that baby will end up, and if it is programed to go into hover mode then you have a new lawn ornament when the battery dies.
Which is likely to land you in more trouble than the firearms charge (if caught) since communications jamming is covered by federal statutes.

This is far more fun.

Which is likely to land you in more trouble than the firearms charge (if caught) since communications jamming is covered by federal statutes.
Yes with such a broad spectrum device pictured above you would be correct, however the bands alloted for hobby type devices such as the cheaper RC drones come with a warning regarding frequency interference from other items using the same bandwidth. If they are 27 or 49 MHz a simple, legal CB radio will overpower the signal. "Breaker 19, breaker 19, we got a bogey in the sky." :biggrin-93:

If they are using a 72 MHz controller then having 72MHz rc transmitter would suffice.

Its once they get into the higher priced units that the issue gets a little tougher, however it is also tougher for them as well. Once you get into the 6 meter band types, that have much longer ranges etc., the operator must possess a Ham license to operate the device.

Of course you could just build a really large fly swatter and accomplish the same thing. :allteeth:

If one of those thing showed up and started filming or taking photos in my backyard I'd be pretty pissed too. I wouldn't shoot it, but that's just because my neighbors are too close, certainly not out of respect for the voyeuristic jerk controlling it.

This could be fun.....
airlauncher.jpg

This air cannon will shoot streamers over 100' in the air. My guess is streamers and propellers just don't play nice together.

Most reactions

Back