Yahoo may shut down Flickr, other unprofitable business units

I feel kinda like that at this point, shut 'er down already, geez. Seriously, I realize people do use it, so I think this announcement is a heads up to start figuring out what else to do with your photos because change is probably coming.

Here's an interesting article I read today - to me, a good example of how free on Flickr is helping devalue photography.
Free vs Paid: Donald J Trump
No photo is ever going to make a comb over look good

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm going to guess that Flickr is consolidating servers now.
Flickr has been horrid lately in accessing images.
So expect a downhill slope ...

I'm going to guess that Flickr is consolidating servers now.
Flickr has been horrid lately in accessing images.
So expect a downhill slope ...

Interesting. I was browsing around on there yesterday and didn't have any issues.

I keep getting "temporary unavailable" errors a lot.

I haven't noticed any issues either.

I feel kinda like that at this point, shut 'er down already, geez. Seriously, I realize people do use it, so I think this announcement is a heads up to start figuring out what else to do with your photos because change is probably coming.

Here's an interesting article I read today - to me, a good example of how free on Flickr is helping devalue photography.
Free vs Paid: Donald J Trump

I wonder if anyone other than photographers, even think about whether the background is distracting or not (pretty sure most don't care). I also wonder how many people post photos on Flickr and don't save the photos elsewhere; hard to believe there is a bunch of folks uploading and then deleting the original from hard drives is going on.

If they shut it down, I can't see myself posting more on Facebook or Instagram. Perhaps, I'd create a free website and post them there with links on my Facebook. I also don't see removing anything I have up there already. If they go away they just go away (still on my hard drives).

I'm almost hoping they would shut it down, just to see or experience the fallout. I may be forced to do something creative.

For me the worst isn't the loss of hosting; its the loss of contacts. The fact that I might have to review 50 different websites to see what takes 1 second on flickr updates now; the fact that many might not have websites or only have closed facebook accounts and the fact that I don't really want to be "friends" with 50 random people who's work I find inspiring but otherwise would never remember their real name.

(note 50 is random number its likely way more).

I've also not had any issues with flickr.

Yahoo is officially looking at strategic options ... not like they haven't for several years just unable to get a deal to sell portions of the company. They wanted too much for what other companies were offering. What else? If it's non-profitable it ain't worth much. LOL except for the member list and advertising (which Yahoo hasn't been able to monetize). ==> Yahoo Hires Advisers, Forms Committee to Explore Options

free advice to yahoo:

dont piss off your paying userbase and remove your revenue stream. I duinno if you guys know this, but in order to make money, you have to collect it somehow.

Wait, what, you mean there were people in the business of photography before Flickr??? Who knew?

Yes it would be a shame if it closes, but civilization won't collapse, and something will come along to replace it.

Last edited:
problem is their revenue stream for Flickr is below their operating expense for Flickr.

17mp98bddgpjnjpg.jpg

a nice historical article of Flickr and Yahoo ==> http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-internet

Funny story about Yahoo, my mother had a contract with Yahoo for a bit. She had a NDA, so I couldn't pry for details, but she said that she had no idea what she was really doing.

She'd get instructions, follow them and report back the results. Said they paid like $200/hr to do stuff she had no idea what it was exactly.

Maybe they have some kind of super secret project!

Most reactions

Back