Yahoo may shut down Flickr, other unprofitable business units

problem is their revenue stream for Flickr is below their operating expense for Flickr.

17mp98bddgpjnjpg.jpg

a nice historical article of Flickr and Yahoo ==> http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-internet

Interesting read.

They were a tad colorful with their language too .. a bit "R rated in spots.

It was unnecessary I think. If it was a direct quote then sure, but in this case I didn't see the point.

For me the worst isn't the loss of hosting; its the loss of contacts. The fact that I might have to review 50 different websites to see what takes 1 second on flickr updates now; the fact that many might not have websites or only have closed facebook accounts and the fact that I don't really want to be "friends" with 50 random people who's work I find inspiring but otherwise would never remember their real name.

(note 50 is random number its likely way more).

I've also not had any issues with flickr.

For me it's the group discussions that I find most useful. Of 300+ I belong to around 20% are on fairly specific subjects. Some have VERY knowledgable members usch as 'Johnny optic' in the homemade lens group. Using a saved link I can still get to a page showing me any updated discussions in all my groups, scan these & read/reply to the interetsing ones.
It's seemed to me for years that Yahoo was trying to kill off the useful groups, with each sucessive change making use worse. Many groups have just become dumping grounds full of irrelevant stuff. (Still shots of the moon added to macro groups etc.)

Yahoo is odd in that respect; they do seem to be really great at starting or buying setups and then running them into the ground with very strange choices. Heck Yahoo had a huge social networking site long before facebook and yet Yahoogroups have been successively killed off to the point where only a handful of people even remember they exist

First strike to try and ramp up more revenue ...
Flickr just lost its appeal -- and the war against Google Photos

their official statements
Changes to Flickr Pro and coupon for 30% off annual rate | Flickr Blog

"For any members with free accounts, you can continue enjoying the Auto-Uploadr by upgrading to Flickr Pro in the next 14 days. In order to make this transition easier, we’re offering a 30% discount on the annual Flickr Pro membership."

luckily I don't use the AutoUploader, so hopefully this means nothing to me ... for now ...

Last edited:
I'll just use something else if Flickr becomes a hassle. I can post images here that are hosted on PhotoBucket easily enough.

Well, if V* buys it, look for dozens of hidden fees.

Flickr managed right still has huge potential - its still got a lrge and active user base it just needs nurturing and some more face book integration aspects to it (yeayeah its the devil I know but it does help

Overread said:
Flickr managed right still has huge potential - its still got a lrge and active user base it just needs nurturing and some more face book integration aspects to it (yeayeah its the devil I know but it does help

Yeah, give it another 13 to 16 quarterly earnings report cycles....maybe they'll stop bleeding red ink.

A good example of why Flickr is doomed: not too many months ago, under Miss Airhead's reign, the geniuses at Flickr made some minor updates to their site, and in the process rendered millions and millions of older versions of Mac OS unable to access photos on Flickr.

Thisis a huuuuuge problem in tech companies, where kids in their 20's, working on brand-new computers, bought by their companies, and running up-to-the-minute OS versions decide that some whiz-bang, cool new feature that will display thumbnails in some neat, new way manages to BREAK the God*****d site's most-basic functionality, which is to SHOW PHOTOS to a wide audience. Hundreds of millions of users, running older computer operating systems, using multiple older variants of web browsers, on two platforms, Win-doze and Mac-in-trash, can not actually SEE the images due to Flickr's system requirements.

The kids running Flickr did this to their site not long ago, utterly, ignorantly unaware that whatever minor benefit they brought to Flickr, the minimum system requirements they've set have locked out hundred of millions of computers from even being able to SEE an image properly on Flickr.

A photo uploading and sharing site that locks out 2012 Mac OS computers, and that locks out the millions upon millions of older, company-owned Internet Explorer computers...this is the kind of moronic short-sightedness that afflicts companies filled with 20- and 30-something developers and managers who have $4,000 workstation computers, and who have no f****g idea of what the real world of computing is filled with: older OS variants, and older browsers. The priority is NOT cool new display of thumbnails and clever web page tricks, but uploading and sharing photos by a hugely diverse universe of actual com-pu-ter set-ups, used by r-e-a-l people.

There are still huge numbers of company and personal computers that can NOT SEE properly, any image on Flickr. Miss Airhead cannot manage a company because she has not a clue about how the real world accesses the web. Flickr's idiot managers have willingly set the minimum access requirements too high, too modern, too restrictive.

Last edited:
The interface is garbage.

In my opinion :D

well, I hope it all gets fixed.
i really dont want to move all my images somewhere else. ive been happy enough with flickr.

Most reactions

Back