Yashica 124 help!!

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I finally got me a MF camera for christmas, but I can't figure out the dang light meter. I'm not sure if it just doesn't work or if there is something i have to do to activate it. (also, for the 124 is the light meter just above the focusing scree, a red bar and a yellow bar?) Thanks for the help guys

I wouldn't bother with the meter. Chances are it's not accurate. I use an handheld meter since mine doesn't work anyway.

The light meter on mine wasn't the greatest but it was reasonable. At least it got you in the ball park.

Is the battery good? If memory serves, it was on the camera's left. Needed a coin to unscrew the cover.

Just put a new battery in, that was my first thought, opened up the compartment and there was some corrosion. I replaced it and don't see any difference. So i'm just gonna go w/ it doesn't work. And seeing as i don't have a handheld meter, i'm using my pentax km to meter with. I actually enjoy that because it slows the process and makes me think a little more. Anyway,after my first roll, i've come acroos a more important, slightly embarrassing question.

How do you roll the film back up onto the spool when your finsihed

also, does it take just 120 or 220 also?

The plate on the back will say 120 or 220. You can press it down and slide it to adjust it to one or the other. When you load the film, the arrows for 120 film are on the bottom, while the arrows for the 220 are on the back. I made the mistake of lining 120 film to the 220 lines and my last frame had a staple through it.

When you're done with a roll just continue rolling it through. Then pop open the back, remove the film, then use the adhesive strip to seal it.

tr0gd0o0r said:
Just put a new battery in, that was my first thought, opened up the compartment and there was some corrosion. I replaced it and don't see any difference.

If there is corrosion in the battery compartment it tends to act as an electrical insulator. You need to get the corrosion off the metal contacts with some fine emery cloth. Give it a good clean so you see bright metal and try again.
But I agree with some of the others here - the meter ain't that good. Best to get a handheld.

I got the corrosion out, so i think its shot. Once the new battery is in, it should just move around right?

I was wondering why that plate seemed like it would move. And whenever i go to develop this, do i cut al the paper off or how does that work?

tr0gd0o0r said:
Anyway,after my first roll, i've come acroos a more important, slightly embarrassing question.

How do you roll the film back up onto the spool when your finsihed

You don't. The take-up spool is an empty 120 film spool. After you finish, you wind the film the rest of the way onto the takeup spool and remove it, tape the roll down with the piece of lick-and-stick paper that will dangle off the end of it, and move the now empty roll (that your film started out on) into the take-up position.

tr0gd0o0r said:
I was wondering why that plate seemed like it would move. And whenever i go to develop this, do i cut al the paper off or how does that work?

No, with 120 film you take it as-is out of the camera , preferably tightly wound onto the spool (and if you're paranoid, also in a dark container or at least in the original film box).

I am sure you did this but are you trying the light meter with the focusing screen opened? Meaning are you lifting the cover? Because if i rememer right that locks the light meter when you close it.

Also so you will know 120 film has a paper back which stays on the film roll until processing. 120 is or was used in some cameras with a frame counter window, so the frame counts are on the paper of the film. 220 is twice as long as 120 but to get that much film on the same size spool they leave the paper off so 120 has paper 220 doesn't. Thats why in some old cameras that have the frame counting window you can't use 220 or you will fog the film.

If you have ever looked at old cameras you might have seen one, they have a little red hole on the back.

Also forgot, if you aren't already take it outside to try the light meter inside is hard to get the meter to even budge.

But like the other posters said i would not trust that light meter anyway I would use a hand held meter. I would trust using the sunny 16 rule before I would try that built in meter.

No, with 120 film you take it as-is out of the camera , preferably tightly wound onto the spool (and if you're paranoid, also in a dark container or at least in the original film box).

just to clarify, i'm gonna be devloping it on my own. SO when I'm in the darkroom putting it on the reel, does the paper come off?

tr0gd0o0r said:

just to clarify, i'm gonna be devloping it on my own. SO when I'm in the darkroom putting it on the reel, does the paper come off?
Yes.

Most reactions

Back