Yashica FR II focus screen

kaidemarco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I bought an old yashika FR II for $15 at a yard sale. Its in great condition, but the focus screen is all scratched up. Can I buy any focus screen online and then cut it to size? I cant find the specific one new online. Thanks.

Can I buy any focus screen online and then cut it to size? I cant find the specific one new online. Thanks.
Rather not. Times of repairing film slrs are over.

The focusing screen on the FRII isn't user-removable. It can be replaced by a technician but requires removal of the top cover and the prism and replacement with a screen from another camera. Fitting a screen from a different camera isn't really a practical alternative and newby camera disassembly attempts usually end up with a shoe box full of camera parts. Paying for a pro to fix it will likely cost lots more than buying another and is usually only done with more expensive cameras nowadays.

I suggest either living with the scratches (they won't affect the film images) or getting another camera.

I'd chalk up 15 bucks as tuition in learning how to buy an old camera. Try looking thru the viewfinder next time.

In any case much more important is, if the automatic exposure system works ok. 40 years old electronics may misbehave.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back