Yashica question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by spiralout, Aug 9, 2005.

1. spiralout

spiralout TPF Noob!

My grandparents were kind enough to give me their old Yashica MAT-124 a few days ago, and I can't wait to use it! I wasnt to shoot slides, though, and I was wondering if the light meter is reliable enough. Also, from what I understand, it uses a 1.3V mercury battery that aren't available anymore; will it function correctly with any other batteries?

Not to ask TOOO many questions at once, but what is a good place to buy slide film (35mm and 120) online? Wolf Camera is heinously expensive, and all they have is 35mm Provia 100f... not that it's a bad film, but I would like to try velvia, as well.

2. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

You can shoot chrome or slide film through it, but I would not rely on the built in meter to well. You could always shoot the 16 rule if you shoot out doors. You might want to try print film first though. Slides when shot correctly look great on 6x6 but theres not really much you can do with them once you have them processed. Unless you have a med format film scanner.

As far as the battery they do make a replacement for the mercury battery its bassically an alkaline cell with a ring around it to adapt to the size the mercury battery once was. If you find a good photo shop or a battery supplier you should be able to cross reference it. Thats a great camera its kind of ackward to use and to focus but when you get the hang of it you will be amazed how nice the images are.

3. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

As far as the film if you can just order it from BH photo or a place like that online. You won't find prices any better than that.

4. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Radio Shack carries a good replacement battery for the Yashicas. I just bought one a few months ago. And I would only use the light meter as a hint of what to shoot as. It's not very reliable but can start you in the right direction. You'll know if it sounds right when you dial it in.