Yashica Redux

I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the camera. Its a fun toy, not a serious work horse.

I'd love to get one and the price is just right as well.

I get that it's a fun toy, but I feel it's too overwrought to actually be fun. It's going out of its way to pretend it's a film camera and I don't understand to what purpose. It's as if they're taking the things that people didn't like about older film cameras (manual advance, always changing film) and putting those elements onto a digital camera (with no preview)...for fun?

I think you know I love me a toy camera :) I just don't understand this one.

I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the camera. Its a fun toy, not a serious work horse.

I'd love to get one and the price is just right as well.

I get that it's a fun toy, but I feel it's too overwrought to actually be fun. It's going out of its way to pretend it's a film camera and I don't understand to what purpose.

Exactly. It's not trying to be a toy. It's being pretentious. George Santayana has the right take on this one: “Fashion is something barbarous, for it produces innovation without reason and imitation without benefit.”

Joe

It's as if they're taking the things that people didn't like about older film cameras (manual advance, always changing film) and putting those elements onto a digital camera (with no preview)...for fun?

I think you know I love me a toy camera :) I just don't understand this one.

If you Google "Yashica DigiFilm Y35" you can find lots of blogs mentioning this product with comments from readers. Most of the comments I read were negative or at least expressing confusion as to the purpose of this camera.

My main objection is (as expressed by limr above) that it appears to "pretend to be a film camera" while really being a digicam. The fake "film advance" lever is especially comical. It would be fine for a child but for an adult it just seems lame.

It seems part of a trend in our society where pretending to do things is replacing really doing things. Like Guitar Hero, computer games, virtual reality, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back