Yashicamat 124G

jhermes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I picked up a Yashicamat 124G for $30 at a flea market. The shutter and all controls work fine, so I don't see any problems there. However I'm not too sure about the foam light seal. Should I go ahead and shoot a test roll or eliminate the risk and just replace the foam before shooting anything? I'm very excited to enter the world of medium format, this is my first non-35mm film camera. Any suggestions on film/where to process? Thanks.

It's your call whether to replace before or as result of leaks. $30 for a working one is very good.

My only fear is to completely blow out the film. With slightly worn foam seals, am I at risk of that? I was very happy to find such an inexpensive camera of this quality - I am regretting my decision to pass up the Polaroid 600SE that was being sold for about $75 (if I remember correctly).

Thank you PASM - forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this.

I mean it is a risk, not a certainty. I have cameras with petrified foam seals. One leaked and I replaced the foams. The other doesn't. But testing a roll of 120 obviously is more of an expense so..check out this webpage if you want to improvise some seals with sticky felt
Yashica TLR Light Seal Repair « Craft Collective

All right, I think I'll have to try just testing some film out. I really appreciate all of the help. If you don't mind, I'd love some suggestions on film - where to purchase and where to process. Feel free to message me some info on this if you have the time.

If you don't mind the wait you can send out through Walmart to Fuji. It takes a while but you get free prints and the processing is dirt cheap.

I used a yashica mat 124g that had no seals in it, and it didn't leak. But I always kept it in the leather case unless I was loading or unloading the film. So as long as you have the case you're probably okay.

But it's pretty easy and cheap to replace the seals. One sheet of this stuff will be enough to seal many cameras: 1MM FOAM CAMERA LIGHT SHIELD SEAL 10" X 10" ADHESIVE | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If the seals look gooey or crumbly or otherwise deteriorated I would just replace them as they'll need it soon anyway.

You can buy film cheaply online from bhphotovideo, Iadorama, lomography.com and a few other places.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you might also find a local photo store with good prices. For some reason, the guy around the corner from me sells ilford cheaper then I can get it online + shipping. Or you might find someone getting rid of ready to expire film at cheap prices.

The best thing to do is to try out many different types of films and see which works for you. Every film has a different look and feel, and you'll probably get to really love one or two types of film

Personally, I really like Rollei Retro 400S (S is red sensitive) for black and white, and Kodak Ektachrome VS (very saturated) for color. The VS is so saturated though that people will look sunburnt, get the Ektachrome G if you're shooting portraits

Most reactions

Back