Yates Mill Pond through my eyes

Not seeing any hostility here, just opinion, feedback and information, which is to be expected when posting a photo and inviting feedback here.

That out of the way, I still don't get why the camera couldn't be turned level. I looked at hundreds of photos of Yates Mill on Google, and not one was tilted, though many were shot from at least very close to this same angle and perspective. Thus, I can't say that I'm buying the "forced to tilt" explanation at this point, considering what I saw on Google and my own experiences with handling cameras and lenses and shooting photos.

My take on it then is that it appears that it can be shot level, but you chose not to, which is certainly your prerogative. The question in my mind still remains though: Why? What are you trying to say to the viewers of this photo about this mill with that (extreme) tilt? I'm just asking, because I don't personally get it, especially when I understand compositional elements well enough to understand what a Dutch tilt like this is supposed to achieve.

The EXIF is apparently stripped from this. What are you shooting with? Is it that your lens is limited, not wide enough to capture all you wanted in one shot, perhaps? If that's the case, sometimes a stitched panorama of 2 or more photos can get around the problem nicely.

The compositional choices we make are very important. They can make or break a photo. The golden mean, the rule of thirds, balance, and the rest of the compositional "rules" are all guidelines that can be broken, but it's important to know when and why and how to break them. The same is true for Dutch Tilt.

It's great that you like it a lot, and sometimes that's all that matters.

It's also nice that you're getting "tons of compliments" for this photo, but I suspect that's mostly, or maybe entirely, from friends and family who are, frankly, usually unreliable at giving straight, unbiased, unvarnished and knowledgeable criticism on our photos. Are people buying prints of it and hanging them prominently in their homes and businesses? I'll bet they're not.

If it's not just friends and family, I'd be interested to check out the links to the photo critique sites and forums where you're getting "tons of compliments" to try to get a grip on what they're seeing in this image that I'm not.

Try to read the above without hostility, as that's how it was written. I'm simply interested in learning more about this image and your compositional choices regarding it. I'm not above learning something new myself - I do it pretty much every day. ;)

Again, if you like it, sometimes that's all that matters. I'd like it if you could help me understand it better so that I can like it too. :thumbup::D

Looking at the photos of yates mill on Google and actually being there are 2 very different things. I was standing at a very difficult angle and that is why I had to tilt it.

Looking at the photos of yates mill on Google and actually being there are 2 very different things. I was standing at a very difficult angle and that is why I had to tilt it.
I wonder how everyone else managed to shoot it without tilting their camera?

Seeing that this photo has already been taken through the "mill". I'll leave it alone.
I'll just say that, in my opinion, a tradition B&W subject needs the feel of a traditional photograph. Now, if this was a lead-in photo to a story of the haunted Yates mill, it might work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back