YAY! A PERSON PICTURE!

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been meaning for eons now to try to start getting pictures of random strangers... I spied this gentleman taking a nap today when I was shooting pictures of the Salem, MA Courthouse Library. I was fortunate, because no more than 1 minute later he woke up and went back to work.

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20009%20bw.jpg

C&C welcome as always.

Beautiful shot! Love the composition and the colour. I like how he is pulled back just far enough from the table to seperate a "calm side" on the left, and have the "busy" side on the right, sleep vs all that work.

i adore this 100%

Getting out of your comfort zone? :lol:

Good deal, man. Only way to learn. And this photo is very nice. I also think that your choice of monochrome is great but that is personal. I tend to like people/street photography much more in straight B&W but in this case, with the wood everywhere, the toning works great.

Next you'll have to learn to shoot people who are aware of what you're doing. Some people will pose but I found that most just keep on doing what it is they're doing. Some will tell you not to take their picture, just move on, respect their choice, but in my experience most people don't mind. I think they are somewhat flattered actually.

Beautiful shot! Love the composition and the colour. I like how he is pulled back just far enough from the table to seperate a "calm side" on the left, and have the "busy" side on the right, sleep vs all that work.

i adore this 100%

Oh, you know I hadn't considered that aspect of it, but that was definitely what caught my attention. I was like "Oh, I guess he had enough :lol:" and quickly lined up the shot. (which was hard since I was using a tripod and was totally setup for a very different shot.)

Thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

Getting out of your comfort zone? :lol:

I dunno, does he look like commercial real estate property to you? :lol:

Good deal, man. Only way to learn. And this photo is very nice. I also think that your choice of monochrome is great but that is personal. I tend to like people/street photography much more in straight B&W but in this case, with the wood everywhere, the toning works great.

Yeah, I tend to like the more "toned" shots I think, but this one somehow screamed for it. Even when I took the shot, I said to myself "Color won't work for this, but a toned B/W should look perfect. I was actually pretty excited that I had the "artistic forethought" on that one. Felt like I was actually seeing more of the art and less of the nuts and bolts for a change.

Next you'll have to learn to shoot people who are aware of what you're doing. Some people will pose but I found that most just keep on doing what it is they're doing. Some will tell you not to take their picture, just move on, respect their choice, but in my experience most people don't mind. I think they are somewhat flattered actually.

Yeah. I'm actually planning to do this before the summer is up... I'm going to hit some of the younger spots of the city where there is a rather extreme mix of trendier college kids and really screwy people who like to hang around them.

hmmm... which one am I in that group do we think? :lol:

Thank you all for your comments! Much appreciated.

Artistic forethought?

OMG! Should we send someone up north to slap you, wake you up from this bad dream?

Personally, I think you should give up and turn into an artist. You certainly seem to have the eye :lol:

If you find yourself uncomfortable shooting people in the area you are talking about, go look for working people, people doing their job. With some photogs it seems to be an easier way to start. Flea market vendors, hot dog cart people, street musicians, cabbies at cab stands, etc, etc. Are you in Boston? From what I remember that city has so many great places for this kind of photography.

One of the thing I liked best about this kind of photography was the people I met. Incredible conversations with some of them. Some photogs just shoot and move on and that's fine, to each his own, but people fascinate me so I love talking.

Looking forward to see some of your stuff in Javier's thread.

If I ever see a camera pointed at me, I always just continue on like it isn't there, because I know how frustrated I get when I'm trying to take a photo of someone, and they stop what they are doing to pose >_<

Artistic forethought?

OMG! Should we send someone up north to slap you, wake you up from this bad dream?

Personally, I think you should give up and turn into an artist. You certainly seem to have the eye :lol:

LIES! :lol:

If you find yourself uncomfortable shooting people in the area you are talking about, go look for working people, people doing their job. With some photogs it seems to be an easier way to start. Flea market vendors, hot dog cart people, street musicians, cabbies at cab stands, etc, etc. Are you in Boston? From what I remember that city has so many great places for this kind of photography.

Yeah, I was thinking of hitting Harvard Square for a day, actually. That would give me some of both. I'm not feeling terribly shy anymore, so I'm not too worried about it... but I figured shooting some dude while he was napping was over the top. :lol:

One of the thing I liked best about this kind of photography was the people I met. Incredible conversations with some of them. Some photogs just shoot and move on and that's fine, to each his own, but people fascinate me so I love talking.

Looking forward to see some of your stuff in Javier's thread.

Actually, that would be neat. I like to talk to random people and learn stuff about them. They just get old after I know them a year or two. :lol: Who said that??!?!

what a shoot! love it

Thanks very much! :)

Excellent candid capture and the sepia is the perfect tone for this image. It matches well to the environment and the subject.

Thanks! I was particularly pleased about the tone. I knew the color version so wouldn't work.

Most reactions

Back