yay! finally found a camera!

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i was having some idle talk with the pops today and i actually found out that he had a film SLR sitting in a cupboard in our house! im really excited because i was about to give up on getting started in photo because of the cost of a new camera. it's a Pentax ME Super and he already has some lenses and an external flash!

so i was wondering, what's a good type of film to get started with? and what are some important points of photography that i should heed as a beginner?

You've got a good camera there! My favourite film: Fuji Superia Reala 100 Start with the 50mm lens (I would assume there may be one in there) Don't use zoom and telephoto to start with as they are more difficult to use effectively. Read the sticky about photography basics. Most of all remember or write down the settings for every shot and look at what works when you get the film back. Good luck! Rob

I second that - nice camera to start with, and it's a bonus to have a few lenses available. :thumbup:

Give yourself assignments to learn how those lenses will affect your compositions. I agree to keep a log of the settings of each shot - an exposure log - that you can review later. It's a great visual aid when you're learning. Use inexpensive print film to start with so you can line them up while you review your exposure notes. I'd recommend you get a basic photography book to help you along there.

You might want to try B&W films, too. If you really get excited by your results, it's pretty inexpensive to develop your own B&W at home.

And remember TPF is always here to help along the way, when more specific questions come up.

Have fun! :D

well if you know nothing about apperture and such things you may want to do what I did: I bought a roll of film and had one subject - park. I experimented with apperture settings and exposure time .. after every shot I took notes... and then when I developed the film I was able to see what the apperture is for :p

I'd start with the cheapest BW film they have... experiment and develop it yourself. It's easy - just keep the development time constant. You'll be able to see what you're getting on the negative. Mount a 50mm lens and forget about all others for a while. Learn apertures, shutter speeds, ISO and their relation to depth of field. Forget about flash too. Good luck and have fun.

mo, this is 5 years old and his last post was in december of 2008 lol

Just in case you didn't notice ;)

lol me too...

i'm SUPER bored... I guess I could be reading for my cultural anthropology class, but I'm really tired and I know as soon as I pick up the book I'll be falling asleep lol

mo, this is 5 years old and his last post was in december of 2008 lol

Just in case you didn't notice ;)

LOL I did. Someone mentioned bringing up old threads so I clicked "last" and picked one from the last page LOL

lol I figured as much :) I was browsing around on the last page but couldn't find anything interesting enough worth adding to lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back