Yay!

J.Bat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbatdesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my Canon 350-D today! Thank you everyone for the help, but I am wanting to upgrade the lens which of these would benefit me more?

1. Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG AF Lens or

EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Thanks again!

The one that would benefit you more would be the one that would benefit you more. You need look at what kind of pictures you like to shoot and and figure it out from there. The lenses you posted re pretty much 2 totally different lenses.

I got my Canon 350-D today! Thank you everyone for the help, but I am wanting to upgrade the lens which of these would benefit me more?

1. Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG AF Lens or

EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Thanks again!
You just describe my exact setup (minus the kit lens). At this point you would probably get the most noticeable benefit out of the 50mm, since you already have the kit lens. I would say save up a bit more before you upgrade your "walk-about" lens.

Doesn't the kit come with a 17-55 or a 28-135?

Do not believe either works well in low light situations so I would go for the 50mm f/1.8 ... I got the 30D with 28-135 kit and first lens I got was the 50mm.

I switch back to it when I get frustrated with my flash :(

Doesn't the kit come with a 17-55 or a 28-135?

Do not believe either works well in low light situations so I would go for the 50mm f/1.8 ... I got the 30D with 28-135 kit and first lens I got was the 50mm.

I switch back to it when I get frustrated with my flash :(
The 350D comes with a pretty slow 18-55mm (can't remember the exact aperture range).

Oh it's a kit? And you're buying another lens? I misunderstood.

I thought you were going to have just one lens for the camera. To a newbie, the ability to experiment is far more valuable than a couple of extra stops of light. And that's why I recommended that you got a zoom before you got a prime.

Nobody try to argue with that! That's the objective truth! Har!

Is it possible to get both? The 50mm f1.8 is not that expensive and both the Zoom and prime can be very beneficial in different situations. No way to know until we know the type of photography you want to pursue.

I might suggest the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro. I got this as my second lens a while back (I have an XTI) and I found it a great versatile lens. The sharpness is decent, the colours great, though goes soft after 200 or so. The awesome thing is this does macro, not REAL 1:1, but macro nonetheless...so now you have zoom capability (wildlife etc) and macro, plus your wide kit lens. The Sigma was only about $275 after delivery taxes etc., so it is a pretty cheap lens with an awesome build! Not a low light lens at all...

Having said that, the kit lens is Cr@p, while the 50mm. is pretty awesome for a piece of plastic.

Most reactions

Back