Yayyy new lenses and question about filters?

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by SubOhmGirl, Sep 27, 2017.

1. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I have them on my lenses for the same reason listed above. I can clean the filter with my shirt or handkerchief. No fingers or scratches on the lens itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. SubOhmGirl

SubOhmGirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Omg. That is sooo much information I appreciate you so much. My camera came with a uv protective filter as well as a full set of color filters. I haven't touched them yet. I guess I don't have hoods for all of my lenses yet I have got 1. And 3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You won't need any color filters. You can duplicate their effect in post.

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Throw away those filters! Yes, even without you telling me their brand. I know they are subpar extremely cheap filters. Going by your posts I believe you bought one of those "kits" that sellers put together with a lot of items in it. Makes it look like your getting a lot for your money. But in reality they are very cheap nearly worthless items.

If you want to have a UV filter or a clear filter on your lens. Make sure it is a good quality one with multi-coating. If you can't afford to buy one for each of your lenses. And their filter rings are different size. Buy a filter for your biggest lens (filter ring size). And then buy adapter rings to fit the larger filter down to the smaller lens filter sizes. You can just swap over the filters to each lens. The adapter rings are like $7 to $12. Your lens caps will protect the lenses not being used! So, you only need 1 filter of each type really. As mentioned before a circular polarizer is a very handy filter. Has many uses. B&W and Heliopan make very good filters. Hoya has a good line of filters but you have to wade through all their different series to find their best line. They have several lines of filters. And their lower lines have a lot to be desired. Tiffen as far as I am concerned, are emergency use only (your on the road and you damaged your good one, and it's the only ones sold)! Even if others by other names say they are MC or multicoated skip over them. Nikon does make filters, but price wise might as well stick with B&W or Heliopan. I my self have many B&W, a couple Heliopan's, and a couple Hoya Pro1-D filters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And I have yet to see any truly empirical data to prove filters 'save' lenses.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, and that pesky poor optical performance.

How many times when we talked someone out of their UV filter who then gets better photographs?

Those are usually the cheapie filters that come with a 100-piece starter kit.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Input rejected. Sorry.

8. fmw

So do you have some empirical data that UV filters prevent "better photographs?" Of course not. There isn't any.

9. 480sparky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Um, actually, yes. One merely has to OPEN THEIR EYES.

But alas, some refuse to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Not all or any UV filters, but as I ALREADY WROTE; usually the cheapies that come with those 100-piece kits. And no empirical evidence that I am aware of, but plenty of anecdotal "evidence".

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. fmw

Have any of you done any tests to discover degraded image quality from UV filters? I have and I didn't encounter any. By the way I have tested both cheap and expensive filters. My conclusion is that the expensive ones are overpriced. A UV filter is nothing more than a flat piece of optical glass, after all.

12. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

UV filters have 2 uses as far as digital is concerned, handy coasters and seperating the money from photographers wallets. But hey, use them if you like, it's not my cash you'll be spending.

• Agree Agree x 1