Year's Most Interesting Sports Photos

Haha that first image was the best way to start that set.

Awesome photos I was/still am studying the compositions.

They must all be amatuers, since they are all pretty much centered. All I hear is that center composition is the mark of a snapshot. LOL

Even the ones that aren't, almost without except have other things to fill the space. Very little empty space sticking on the end. I grant you there was one I noticed but it was meant to show the space as part of the image. Mostly they seem to be standard old boring composition. The kind that seems to be somehow boring to people on forums for some reason.

I think the most interesting thing about that collection was the majority of the ones I looked at and granted I only looked at a few were wide angle shots. In this time when all you see on the sidelines of major sporting events is LOOONG big lenses to see all these wide shots as the most interesting pics is ironic.

JIP said:
I think the most interesting thing about that collection was the majority of the ones I looked at and granted I only looked at a few were wide angle shots. In this time when all you see on the sidelines of major sporting events is LOOONG big lenses to see all these wide shots as the most interesting pics is ironic.

As was thinking the same thing.

But I must say many of them were pretty great. My favorite was the bobsled i think it is and then in the background you have this giant mountain range with a sunset

Nice to see the photo of Jim Lanier in there. Don't know him but he only lives a couple of miles or so away.

DeepSpring, I'm with you on favorite photo. It was the '06 Winter Olympics Women's skeleton. I only know this because I wrote it down while going through the pics. Very cool shots in that set. Thanks for the link rmh.

They must all be amatuers, since they are all pretty much centered. All I hear is that center composition is the mark of a snapshot. LOL

Even the ones that aren't, almost without except have other things to fill the space. Very little empty space sticking on the end. I grant you there was one I noticed but it was meant to show the space as part of the image. Mostly they seem to be standard old boring composition. The kind that seems to be somehow boring to people on forums for some reason.

GREAT photos, but I have to disagree. I did see a few that I would consider
'centered' but the majority of them didn't look to me like they were.

There might have been one or two there that I found the balance to be a little weak, but for the most part, the centered images had a very strong graphical element with symmetry. There's a big difference between that and Fluffy the dog centered in a field of green grass. And there are some that people might call centered that I wouldn't. The subject may be in the general center area as a whole, but the ball is lower left, on player's head is upper right, arms and legs stretch through the image area...

It's about balance, not whether or not the subject is centered. The problem is that without good support from other parts of the image, a centered subject often looks unbalanced. A plain yard of green grass usually isn't much support for a subject.

I strayed away from the photos to look at the cheerleader pix and was pretty disappointed. Virtually all of them were close to the same shot - tight midriff, push-up bra, smiley face. Pretty women, not goood pictures.

I did note that many of the sports pix were actually done by automatic camera - in goal, on top of backboard, on prow of boat, etc.

Thanks for the excellent link.

Some stunning pics in that collection....thanks for the link.
I've often wondered though - how much post processing goes into these kind of shots that we all aim aspire to.
i know they're taken and emailed across the globe for the first edition of a newspaper so timescales are very tight but surely every image in that list isn't the full frame?
I reckon the majority will have had some kind of post processing even if it's just cropping....or are they full frame and even better than i was thinking????

I did note that many of the sports pix were actually done by automatic camera - in goal, on top of backboard, on prow of boat, etc.

I thought the in goal/top of backboard shots were remote controlled by the cameraman/woman themselves. I've seen pics of photographers setting up the cameras in back of the goal, but I didn't think they were automatically fired.

I thought the in goal/top of backboard shots were remote controlled by the cameraman/woman themselves. I've seen pics of photographers setting up the cameras in back of the goal, but I didn't think they were automatically fired.

I just assumed they were triggered by the photogrpaher and took bursts but the photographer wasn't framing the picture at the moment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back