Years of experience does not matter all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen!

I was told by a very respected wedding photographer to take every single 2nd shooter job you get offered. All the bennies of experience with none of the dramaz!

Seems like a major load of attitude in this thread...

I was not making fun of anybody. I am just shocked that you shot a wedding after only 6 months of shooting. Just surprising is all. Kinda bold if you ask me. And yes the couple is the one who made the choice but in the end you are the one who feels you have the ability to shoot a wedding.

Kinda bold

TIME is the most precious resource in the world, but how you spend it is what matters. I've been into photography for around 9 months. I bought my very first camera ever, a Nikon D3000, on January 17th, 2010. I know 'photographers' that have been shooting 5-7 years that I am very confident in saying I blow right out of the water. They never bothered taking it off 'the little green box' or 'the running man', never actually learned HOW to take a photo. That said, I know one person that picked up a used Nikon D40x off of Craiglists four months ago, and her most recent set of an abandoned building is deliberately, not accidentally, INCREDIBLE.

"Years of experience" is totally subjective ... it doesn't really mean anything. It all depends on what you spent those years doing...

Slightly off topic, but it's related... I'm an aircraft mechanic. I have about 10 years experience, and I'm 29. I know more than a few people twice my age (working on aircraft since they were 18)... I may *only* have 10 years under my belt, but those 10 years were spent doing a ****load of heavy maintenance on a lot of different types of aircraft. (I really busted my ass for the first 5 or so years...) I make good money now, but I have the resume to back it up... And I never burned any bridges, lol. You can call anyone I used to work for, and I have the utmost confidence that they will give me a good review. My 'portfolio' is good, lol.

I know people that have spent 25 years at Boeing sealing skin splices...
Do you think they would have the same skills as me? No way.

So ... how does that relate to photography? I guess what I'm trying to say is that the number of years doesn't matter, the portfolio does.

You could spend your whole life taking snapshots of your kids - that doesn't make you an awesome fashion photographer...

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue is not making threads about how bad some other photographer is until your $hit doesn't stink.

I think the bigger issue is not making threads about how bad some other photographer is until your $hit doesn't stink.

Wow.. Ok You are trully an ass. I may not have years of experience like you do but at least I help everyone here. Unlike your useless posts when you reply to newbies.

This place is very silly sometimes.
By the way, part of being a professional is acting like one.

Unless you're a professional crybaby, of course.

I just wanted to express how good I feel when I saw the results after what she said to me. What is wrong with that?

This place is very silly sometimes.
By the way, part of being a professional is acting like one.

Unless you're a professional crybaby, of course.

Everyone's sh!t always stinks.

I have a very good friend of mine who has a very successful photography business in Houston. She doesn't use any flash, or so that's what she told me. Natural light only. *shrugs*

Wow.. Ok You are trully an ass. I may not have years of experience like you do but at least I help everyone here. Unlike your useless posts when you reply to newbies.

Yes, yes, pat yourself on the back for helping "everyone" here, superman.

It's a shame I can't be as helpful as you are.
:roll:

Also, I don't have years of experience. :shrug:

I've been shooting for only 6 months. I have used photoshop for a few years. So yeah I admit I am still green. So recently I agreed to do a friend of a friend's wedding. I will be the 2nd photographer. I am not sure if the other photog is getting paid or not and I dont care. I am doing it for free for my portfolio. Recently we just did their engagement photos and I finally met the other photographer. She rubbed me the wrong way when I met her. This is not the exact words but this is pretty much what she said:
You just do your thing and I do mine. We wont step on each other's toe. I've done this for 20 years and I used to do what you do. Tag along other photographer and be 2nd photographer. That's how everyone starts.

All I said was.. sure (thinking in my head.. was that necessary??)

My first impression of her:
1. 20 years of experience and you didnt bring an external flash?
2. You did not mount your lens hood correctly (she was using a large zoom range and it could go pretty wide.. 18mm-100+mm? Not sure). She had the long curved side on the side of the frame (landscape)

Then in the middle of photoshoot she said something really stupid. She said that my flash is messing up her focus. ??

But anyway.. the couple sent me the photos by the other photographer. They were horrible! I am not saying my photos are fantastic. I am sure it has a lot of flaws. But her photos are no where close to mine. Here are the series I did. I cant post her photos because she didnt create a gallery on the web. I dont think I am allowed to post someone else's work. Here is mine:
Tonya & Chris

You said
"My first impression of her:
1. 20 years of experience and you didnt bring an external flash? "

I will give you an insight:

2 people have worked side by side for 20 years.
1 has 20 years of experience
The other has one year of experience repeated 20 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back