yellow car at night

valvecovergasket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ive done a few things since my last time out trying to take pictures of cars at night...lowering the iso to its lowest possible setting (80) and using the zoom more rather than the crop to frame the pictures. i think both of these have helped the overall noise somewhat.

the thing that really stands out as needing improvement still in my mind is the white balance...i think im going to try leaving it on auto next time (some quick tests around the house have shown good results...) rather than trying to change it everytime i relocate.

pc2500542zo0.jpg

pc2501252rm9.jpg

pc2501232kn1.jpg

pc2501072hh9.jpg

pc2500022lt5.jpg

pc2500822kc5.jpg

pc2500392ze8.jpg

pc2500042rd8.jpg

curious to get input from others though! what else should i do differently next time out?

thanks!

The first few look kind of green ish, but I like them. Why does the last one say Valve cover gasket on it, do you have an oil leak?

thanks, im really interesting now to see how auto white balance will work when in a "real" shooting environment...

the valve cover gasket thing is in all of them...im still trying to work out a decent way to put a signature of sorts onto the pictures

Hi,
the one and only way to get true colors is to do a custom white balance (or Color balance)at picture taking. This takes
away all questions and allow you to white balance for 10 seconds instead of color correct for hours, and never being sure of the result. The custom white balance will also free you of any doubts about your monitor calibration.
Also very important is assessing the color of the light that you work with, as in your pic#7, the hood is yellow and the doors are green... this is not your cameras fault this is due to having two types of light.
Another issue that would be cured by using a standard device would be the exposure that would be more stable if put on manual and ajusted, like in your pic#5 wher the car becomes dark due to the presence in the shot of 2 bright light aiming at the lens.
Use a photo grey card (never a white sheet of paper) or more sophisticated tools as the ColorBalanceCoach to set your
custom setting.
Glad if I could help.

jfokane

Most reactions

Back