Yellow Dog River Falls -- Part 1

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just returned from a short trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. As usual, the trip no matter how long is always too short. Below are some images that I can share from the trip. Unfortunately some of the good ones I cannot share...... Let me know what you think.

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1046.jpg

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1061.jpg

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1077.jpg

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1083.jpg

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1053.jpg

YellowDogRiverFallsIMG_1067.jpg

Hey, nice one!
Which filter helped you to get a sky this blue, trees that green, and a shutter time long enough to give the water this fast flowing aspect?
I have tried to increase shutter times and - failed...

One thing that my dad is still trying to teach me (without too much success, so far, too) is to learn to sort out the best of my photos. Present only the best, is his motto. Which is the hardest part of all photography when you have as many good ones as you are presenting us here (in two threads even).

I think bogleric had ND filter + polarizer... but I can be wrong... those are brilliant :) love them all

Thanks for the nice comments. I used a glass circular polarizer to make the colors really stand out. I have been amazed at what the polarizer can do, the difference is amazing. These were taken with a shutter speed between 1/10 and 1/15. Another key is the lighting. Shooting when the sun is directly overhead is really not the prime time unless that is the only light you can get. I prefer to shoot either early or late in the day depending upon the direction of the waterfalls. Too early or too late and the trees may block out all the light.

Unfortunately I just got this lens which is 58mm and my old Neutral Density (ND) filter is 55mm. I should have used a ND filter, instead I increased the aperture to allow less light into the lens. This also increased the Depth of Field (DOF) which I would rather not have done. A new ND filter is on the top of my list.

I did post twelve pictures of the yellow dog falls in two different threads, what you didn't know was I took 73 shots while I was there playing with different angles, lighting, etc. That is why I like to shoot digital.

Later today, if I get some time I might post some from the Reany and Dead River Falls.

Very nice The second is my favourite, can' t really pinpoint why, may be the low angle. Quite agree with you on shooting early or late in the day, if it's sunny in the afternoon I don't even bother taking pictures, it a good time to edit pictures IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back