yep, me again looking for help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JonMikal, Apr 27, 2005.

1. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i am a terribly unorganized person when it comes to computer image files etc. but let me get to the point:

as i indicated earlier, i have never printed an image of mine. they are all stored on my hard-drive (yes i know :shock: ), mainly in RAW format and small jpg conversions for uploading here. the help i need is what do you do once the image is in the computer? my current process is download the RAW file; tweak it if i want and save the changes back to the original RAW file (i do this knowing i have the ability to restore it back to its original state). before closing the file, i convert to a small jpeg for web use. what i want to do is print some of my stuff and make them available for sale on my site. what do i do with the RAW file; save as a large TIFF or JPEG? remember i want to print these images as large as poster if needed. i shoot a d70 and the largest pixel size i think i can get is 3008x2000. also, how do you store you images? on cd's or hard-drive? i know im asking a lot but i know im in the right house here. i'll be very grateful for any info you can share. thanks.

Jon

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Well I'm not the best person to be answering this, but I know that printing at the highest dpi is best. Usually about 300 gives great prints. As far as storing I typically have my most current pictures in folders on my hard drive and then burn the older photos onto disks. Thats about all I can think of at the moment...

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Jon, depending on what you want to do with a particular image, you will probably end up with a few copies of some of them. You'll always want to print from TIFF files, that will give you the best resolution. Your jpeg files are for posting online or attaching to emails, but will not be suitable for large print jobs like the kind you mention.

You might end up having a couple different directories, one for your originals in raw (whatever that means, digi-boy) ;), one for TIFFs for printing and one for jpegs for uploading. TIFFS and raw might mean the same thing, size-wise, you would know more than I about that. :)

And if I were you I'd get those original files onto cd's as soon as you can. You have tons of good stuff; it's foolish to risk storing them all on nothing but your hard drive!!! :shock:

I'm sure you'll be hearing from others, better versed than me, soon enough. My two cents. Good luck!

4. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thanks a million you guys. i definately have a what i need to get started. :hug::

5. steve817

steve817 TPF Noob!

Jon,

If you are wanting prints to sell I would look into a third party service for doing so. White House Custom Colour, Millers Lab as well as others turn out great product. I know WHCC has requirements for their files. They want theirs cropped at whatever size you want (say 8X10 for example) then saved at 300 dpi. It's real easy to do in PS.

6. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thank you!

7. SWFLA1

SWFLA1 TPF Noob!

Jon - I also shoot a D70... I have 3 master files - RAW TIFF JPEGS depending on how i'm going to use the shot designates which file I save a copy too... I always keep all my RAWs, then save a manipulated copy to one (or both) of the other files...

Printwise, I use Tiffs and go through commercial labs...
    Hope this helps....

Bob

8. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

it definately does! do you store on cd's as well? thanks

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    See, that answers my question, as well, when I was saying Jon might end up with 3 different files - I don't shoot digital and wasn't sure if a RAW file would be stored separately from a TIFF. :thumbup: Thanks for that tidbit.

Maybe someday I'll learn the lingo..... :lol:

10. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Hmm, I guess I was unaware that it is bad to print jpeg files. I have done this for quite sometime now and the results are great, but then again I'm not comparing them to TIFF files either. I may have to give this a shot and compare the two...can it really be that much worse? Remember digital is new to me so sometimes I do things the crazy way :lol:

11. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

i hear it's preference. some people have told me that you can't tell the difference between the two much when printing 8x10 or smaller, but with larger prints, the difference becomes more apparent. again, what i was told.

i've received a lot of good info....thanks again everyone!

12. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When I'm shoot for clients I typically shoot in high res jpeg in camera and then save as TIFF. I am starting to use RAW more as well. I crop at 300dpi and don't use any compression for the TIFF file. I've printed both TIFF and JPEG and at smaller sizes I don't notice a difference. It was my understanding that the more you resave a JPEG file the more data is lost which is why I save the TIFF because I often re-edit a few times depending on the photos.

As for storage I have store in a hard drive and then move to a DVD for long term storage (I keep those for 7 years for my clients).