Yes another Computer? thread!

For editing, all other things being equal, the most important item on the speed and ease in editing is your memory.

I just purchased an iMac, and the memory from Amazon to equip it with the maximum 32GB (Apple only advertises 16GB max, but that's been disproved repeatedly.) IDK what you're using for editing, but Photoshop is a RAM whore. I'd highly recommend equipping your computer with the absolutely maximum memory your motherboard is able to support.

That depends a lot on the type of editing you do. I have a two-year old iMac with 4 GB. I use multiple layers in PS CS5 (a few adjustment layers and up to 2 or 3 full layers), although after the raw conversion I work in 8-bit, so I have file sizes up to about 100-150 MB, and I have no noticeable delays at any time (and I'm usually playing music and have Canon DPP and sometimes Firefox open at the same time). If you're going to do 16-bit and/or lots of large layers, then you may need more RAM.

**sigh**
Thanks guys, unfortunately I now have more time to decide so making those minor changes to the setup is definitely possible. Mr. Rabbit ordered this then carried on to work, where he was laid off again, ugh. Had to call the shop and put the brakes on until ... :(

Update, well the layoff was a blindside for us and while Mr. Rabbit is back to work already (he is a Millwright and works through the union) I just can't justify investing this much in the desktop BUT I needed something. The plan was to do the desktop first and eventually get me another laptop for portability etc so we just flipped it and I picked this up yesterday:

Gateway NV52L Series Notebook | Laptops - English | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

Just getting it set up now and it will do :)

PixelRabbit said:
Update, well the layoff was a blindside for us and while Mr. Rabbit is back to work already (he is a Millwright and works through the union) I just can't justify investing this much in the desktop BUT I needed something. The plan was to do the desktop first and eventually get me another laptop for portability etc so we just flipped it and I picked this up yesterday:

Gateway NV52L Series Notebook | Laptops - English | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

Just getting it set up now and it will do :)

Just out of curiosity...Why did you decide to buy a Gateway instead of another brand?

In a nutshell, price, availability in my rural area, price, most ram for my buck.

I had $400 to spend, I considered used but decided to go with new partly because of the 1 year manufacturers warranty.

The other options in my price range were 4gigs of ram and either 250 or 500 gig hd but some better names.

Last edited:
Happy ending!

Picked up the i7 yesterday :) :thumbup:

2. I7-3770 3.4 GHz Quad Core with Hyper Threading ( 8 Threads)
Asus P8H77-V LE atx motherboard
8 GB DDR3-1600 Memory
LG 24X DVDRW
WDC 1 TB Hard Drive
Windows 7 Home Prem x64
Setup and Installation

Looks good!

Most reactions

Back