Yesterdays football

Nice action shots. Shows it's the photographer not a top end camera catching the action.

I've been teaching a guy shooting with a T2i sports stuff. He's got some gorgeous stuff out of it! And he's gotten some gorgeous stuff out of his 50-250 as long as the light is pretty good!
There are a couple of these that seem pretty cool, but it could be me. I had to switch computers. This is calibrated, but I wouldn't totally trust it.

You've captured some pretty intense moments. I really like how you managed to get their facial expressions, despite the helmets. How much cropping did you do?

Not a lot of cropping, the last one was a vertical but even with that it was pretty much a straight across crop.

Nice action shots. Shows it's the photographer not a top end camera catching the action.

A friend of mine was doing a photo workshop during the game with about 6 amateurs, most were using pretty good gear, certainly higher end than the T2i, but they didn't have a clue how to shoot football, they looked at me like I was nuts, and all I heard from them was motors going on every play. T2i is just 3 frames per sec, so timing and understanding was more important than frame rate. I just told them, think before they shoot, it's not about the camera. Having really good glass is the biggest difference.

I've been teaching a guy shooting with a T2i sports stuff. He's got some gorgeous stuff out of it! And he's gotten some gorgeous stuff out of his 50-250 as long as the light is pretty good!
There are a couple of these that seem pretty cool, but it could be me. I had to switch computers. This is calibrated, but I wouldn't totally trust it.

Yeah, the first one seems pretty cool to me as well. The last one a tiny touch cool.

great shot on the last one! Makes me jones for a 300mm even more. I always love the shots I can get shooting from behind, but so often teams (especially high school teams) are playing from the middle of the field that I get all these sort of same-y shot from the sidelines angles. a 300mm would probably mean I could shoot from the endzone all the way out to the 30s, maybe?

But I dont buy the gear, and I know there's no way the studio is springing for a 300mm 2.8, when it wouldn't be used for ANYTHING else we do.

I was also using a 1.4 extender for a lot of what I was shooting. I didn't play around with any colour changes on these, and I also find them a little too blue and flat. I spent a lot of time shooting from the 25 yard line into the back of the end zone, I just sit and wait for the play to come to me. I do a lot of isolation on single players as well. I'll watch how the defense is playing and then concentrate on the players that seem to dominate the play, they usually end up around the ball. Also try and work inside with the linemen, there is a lot of great action happening there.

I was also using a 1.4 extender for a lot of what I was shooting. I didn't play around with any colour changes on these, and I also find them a little too blue and flat. I spent a lot of time shooting from the 25 yard line into the back of the end zone, I just sit and wait for the play to come to me. I do a lot of isolation on single players as well. I'll watch how the defense is playing and then concentrate on the players that seem to dominate the play, they usually end up around the ball. Also try and work inside with the linemen, there is a lot of great action happening there.

Yeah, two of my favorite go-to shots these days are the "straight down the line" shot pre-snap from a really low angle, and the straight on shot from the end-zone isolating the quarterback and Center just after he snaps the ball.

I covered a 'zone read' team the other day. basically the entire game was them running the ball 4 yards up the middle into a pile of linemen. The coach actually said to me "I know we're doing this right if you don't get any good shots!"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back