Yet another lens question

CanadianMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a new camera and some lens, after a day of playing with it I want a decent telephoto lens. I like this Sigma one, I would prefer similar if possible but maybe $300 less. I love this one but after my latest splurge I need to save a few dollars. Are there alternatives anyone might recommend? I can go with something more along the lines of 100-500. Any recommendations? I would prefer a Sigma or Canon lens. Looking to spend around $900.00.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
SIGMA 50-500MM F4-6.3 EX DG CANON
[/FONT]

take a look at Canon's 70-200mm f4.0 L for around $539 @ b&h. the f2.8 is about twice the price of the f4

^^ i know these focal lengths are already covered by your current lens, but the L is razor sharp and you can do f4 thru the entire focal length. plus it has manual focus override. excellent colors. the bokeh is pretty good as well.

I have a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 already. I enjoy architectural photography and I took the camera out with me during the brief dry spell we had and I cannot get some of the features I want because the distance. And some other things I would like to do I am finding that I am going to need something closer to 400 or 500 mm.

Sigma 70-300 APO? Real cheap...pretty decent lens...my brother just got one.

With your price range...you're a little limited.

What about the Sigma 1.4x converter or 2x converter for your 70-200?

I am considering a 2x converter, I can afford the above lens if I need to just was hoping there were other options, and the converter is making more sense since my need at this time for it is minimal, but I would like that range. I was not sure but no harm in asking. How does the converter affect the quality? if at all.

Sigma 70-300 APO? Real cheap...pretty decent lens...my brother just got one.

With your price range...you're a little limited.

What about the Sigma 1.4x converter or 2x converter for your 70-200?

Very close to what I want but I am off the store tomorrow on the next day and will talk to them, but most users have lots of experience and novices may also have some opinions from any perspective. Like to hear all opinions then I can research them before I go to the store and take it for a minor test run.I can get the above lens for $1000 , but if something is around $900.00 I can get it for about $700. Is there any noticeable optical effect when using a 1.4 x or tht 2x. Although the 500mm I will ned to get a perspective on the weight. I will also look at the 400mm. Thanks for the input and opinions,. :D

I might be confused, but the sigma 70-300 APO is only a couple hundred bucks? I had this lensa few years ago and I have to tell ya it's a little soft on th elong end. The teleconverters will degrade the IQ and you may also have issues with the electrical connections (focus, aperture etc).

I have decided on a lens instead of a 2x converter. There are two sigmas I am going to look at tomorrow. I was going to go today but forgot we have a new holiday this year that falls on today so the two Camera dealers I would deal with are both closed. So I am hoping I will be going to look at them and see what one I like better. It was my wife who told me to spend the money, that I would not be happy with the converter and I plan on some long road trips out to the East Coast of Canada this year and I know where there is tons of moose, whales, puffins and other things a good big lens is what I need and is my best bet. Ones the 500mm which I have my heart set on but for the cost may settle for the 400mm.

Canon 100-400L

At $1649 plus taxes. First place I looked. I may shop around, and if I find like a killer deal on it sure, not sure if thats going to happen. Stunning lens. Would love it, but I will have to find a far, far better deal then that and I really don't think that will happen lol

I struggled with this in the begining and the only advice (not that you need it) I can offer is if you want Hi IQ then you should spend the money now because you'll end up spending it later.

Good choice on the TC's, one other problem they create is you lose a stop or two. These work great on primes or super sharp lenses like the 70-200 L.

Even with the 100-400 I often times wish I had more reach. One day I may own the F4 600mm, but damn that's a lot of money.

Good luck!

I have decided on a lens instead of a 2x converter. There are two sigmas I am going to look at tomorrow. I was going to go today but forgot we have a new holiday this year that falls on today so the two Camera dealers I would deal with are both closed. So I am hoping I will be going to look at them and see what one I like better. It was my wife who told me to spend the money, that I would not be happy with the converter and I plan on some long road trips out to the East Coast of Canada this year and I know where there is tons of moose, whales, puffins and other things a good big lens is what I need and is my best bet. Ones the 500mm which I have my heart set on but for the cost may settle for the 400mm.

sometimes, you even can touch them in front of face. :)
have a faster lens is important than zoom. cause animals like moose always walk around at dusk.

my personal experience...

Well this all helps, I will read more on whats out there tonight, go hit the stores tomorrow see what I can get for what price and quality. See what my options are and what I want to spend. I love the Canon and will give it consideration. For now I believe I really don't need more than a 400mm. Gives me something to do tomorrow.

I went with the SIGMA 50-500MM F4-6.3 EX DG. I was not even sure I was willing to part with that amount, but I was at the clearance centre of one of the places I have been going. I had phoned ahead and they told me they had one for $799.00 refurbished and they promised to hold it for me. I get down there they sold it on me, so I asked for the manager and I was not to happy but since I had them fax me the confirmation number and I paid a deposit on my visa he apologized and then he gave me a new one at the refurbished price price. Now I am so done, I have everything I wanted and all at great prices. I had a look at the Canon 100mm to 400mm and after taking some photos, playing around I was just as happy with the sigma lens, and for the $800.00 dollar difference it was a no brainer. I had brought my camera and two len's to take photos while I was out, as soon as I got downtown it started a mini snow storm, so yet another day to read the manual lol. May play around and practice some portrait shots and get familiar with the camera even more. So thanks as always for the opinions. :D .... Plus a new Monopod, a Circular Polarizing filter for the new Sigma, a remote. All from the clearance centre so i got a real good deal since they only saw me a couple of days ago lol.

2278037584_1cd8ef3219.jpg

I have the sigma 70-300 DG APO. I love love love this lens!!! It takes great pictures (very sharp) I use it allot for a all the time lens. It takes great portraits, as well as landscapes. Also with a 2x teleconverter it still takes very clean pictures. For the price I don't think theres a lens out there that can compete with it. (for the price)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back