Yet Another Lenses Thread

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Gaz, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Gaz

Gaz TPF Noob!

Good afternoon!

Long time viewer and admirer of the site, first time poster!

I was wondering if (and for many it will be yet again I do apologise) I could get a bit of advice on lenses

I recently bought a Canon EOS 350D while on my travels in New York along with a 70-300mm lense.

This was fine for finding my feet but I now have £150-200 in kindly donated vouchers which I am looking to spend tomorrow.

I know a bit about lenses but not a great deal and am just on the look-out for something a tad smaller!

I was thinking maybe of filling in the range and getting something along the 10-60mm but there are so many out and about there.

In short I wouldn't mind a bit of wide angle and don't paying a bit more money for an improvement in quality but the zoom is obviously not that important.

It's mostly for finding my way with photography and standard scenery/people shots.

Would a 10-20mm lens be a good way to go (not only in physical size of the lens but also the wide angle capabilities?)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated so I don't get sold up the river by the salesman tomorrow!!

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    for wide angle, often you do not need much zoom as your feet can easily do it. but I think a 10-20mm was often mentioned here, was it by Sigma or Tamron? not sure.

I personally use a 17-40mm as a wide angle, but that would kill your budget and it is really only ultrawide on a full frame camera.

for street photography I would advise a 50mm prime... the 1.8 by canon is supposedly a good buy in terms of value for money.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is the 70-300mm the only lens you have? or do you also have the 18-55 kit lens?

The Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens is said to be a pretty good wide angle lens for that camera. There are others in the same class, that may be a bit cheaper. Look at Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. I think some of them are 12-24 or something like that.

If you don't have the kit lens...then you could look at something in the 17-50 range...which is about the standard focal length range for that camera. There is the Canon kit lens EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6...but it's kind of feels like a toy. The EF-S 18-85 with IS is a much better lens. The best lens in the class is the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS...but it's well over $1000 (but said to be worth it by many who use it). The Canon 17-40 F4 L is a suburb lens...but kind of expensive as well. Sigma and Tamron both make lenses in this range, which offer good value in terms of price and performance.

The 50mm F1.8 is a good suggestion. The wide maximum aperture is a great tool and the optical performance it better than most zoom lenses. You might also consider the Sigma 30mm F1.4 or the Canon 28mm F1.8.

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree that is a very nice lens. I just sold mine on ebay though and it went for 381 EUR .. which is well beyond the quoted budget.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been thinking about that one myself...or maybe the Sigma 30mm F1.4

6. Gaz

Gaz TPF Noob!

Many, many thanks people, I understand the question really does pose the "how long is a piece of string" question.

I need to learn more about what they do really to get an understanding of what I need.

But at the mo I am bare basics and just trying to find my feet. I saw in the shop tonight while have a pre-browse a Sigma 17-50mm lens which doesn't look too big and wasn't too pricey (think about £180) so that should do fine to complete the lens kit for experimenting with.

May even crack that badboy out in London tomorrow and take some pictures of the Eye.

That would be the eye of London, not my japs eye.

7. burtharrris

burtharrris TPF Noob!

I never really respected sigmas on the level of canon or nikon lenses. I've heard good things about the 30mm f/1.4, but it's pretty damn expensive. Is it made for 1.6x sensors, meaning it can't work on a full-frame or 35mm camera?

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I believe it is made for smaller sensors only...but compared to the price of a Canon 24mm F1.4 L or a 35mm F1.4 L...the sigma is a steal. Granted, it's no L lens.

Sigma has some great lenses (as does Tamron)...and Canon/Nikon have some real dogs in the line up. Yes, top of the line Canon & Nikon are some of the best in the world...but a top of the line Sigma lens is often 90% as good as the name brand lens...for 50% of the price.

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tokina just released the 10-17mm. It's got the same optical design as the Pentax 10-17 which i've heard is a superb fisheye zoom from pentax shooters.

10. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I owned the Canon 10-22EF-S lens on my 20D.
    It was a great lens and before i had it i always thought that my 24-70 f/2.8 was as wide as i'd ever need.
    But when i got the 10-22 i used it much more than i thought.
    Good quality images and great wide angle.

If you're thinking of it, i'd recommend it.
    In fact I'd recommend it even if you aren't!!

11. Gaz

Gaz TPF Noob!

Well I went and got myself a Sigma 18mm-50mm f3.5-5.6 and ASKED whether it would fit the Canon Rebel XT -

"yep, no worries there"

Turns out though it sodding doesn't!

I wish they would check these things, back again tomorrow now and probably more on the lense as this one wasn't TOO pricey.

Damn, damn them!

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma makes lenses for Canon, Nikon & maybe Pentax and Minolta/Sony...you have to make sure that you get a lens with the correct mount for your camera. And of course if helps if the person you are buying if from, knows the difference.