Yet another Newbie

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jetlee, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jetlee

Jetlee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Hi guys
    I am looking at upgrading from a compact due to a whole bunch of dissapointing pictures on a recent O/S trip.
    Plenty of camera shops have pushed the micro 4/3rds and reckon there isnt much difference in comparision to an slr in the same price range.

Camera's i am looking at:
    Lumix g1, g2, g10
    Sony nex3 or nex 5 ( no i aint a fan boy)
    Samsung NX10
    Canon D500, D550 or Nikon equivilant

If i get a Canon or Nikon i would take the step up instead of getting just the entry level "C" 1000d or "N" d3000

Things to take into consideration:
    Cost - must be under $1500 australian
    Size & Weight - My G/F will use this mostly so these attributes matter
    Style - once again its got to appeal to a female also
    Lense - Not looking at upgrading from the standard lense offered (2 max)
    Features - I am after HD video and the panarama mode on the Sony looks good. I understand entry level cameras dont have HD video??

Things that don't matter: touch screen, adjustable screen, 20 different types of lense and flashes and all the bells and whistles

Take into account i don't know what ISO, aperture, noise, raw, 18mm-135mm mean and to some extent i dont really care.

Now i know i am gonna get a lot of heat for contemplating the Micro 4/3 and the Sony and i know they are not true dslrs. I like the them due to the size and weight and i can carry this around as an every day camera too. I know most wouldn't recommend these but due to size, weight & look i may be sucked in. But seriously: should these camera's be an option for a begginner with no aspiration to become the world next top photographer?

Thanks for your time

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Any of the cameras you named will do a good job. You seem to have a good handle on what you want, take the GF shopping and start with the camera that has the best feature set for you and see which she likes as she'll be using it a lot. (have a look at the hi end Canon point and shoots too) I would, if I were you make sure that whatever I got had the ability to shoot in Aperture mode at least and manual mode would be better. If you would like to shoot something for your wall or desk a Nikon or Canon should top your list as there are other considerations to a good photograph than just a clear picture. Look up bokeh and depth of field for starters. ;)

When you acquire your camera, come back and we'll talk about travel photography. :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want a small camera that takes better photos, those cameras will do it.

However, the entry level DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, which you seem to want to avoid, will perform at least as well, if not better at the same price point.

Also, you wrote "Take into account i don't know what ISO, aperture, noise, raw, 18mm-135mm mean and to some extent i dont really care."

If you don't care about the principles of photography, why get a DSLR? Why not just get a really nice point & shoot. It seems to me that it would be like spending $50,000 to remodel your kitchen, but not wanting to learn how to cook. Why not just eat out every night?

4. subscuck

subscuck No longer a newbie, moving up!

Illinois, where even the dead get to vote
    Photos OK to edit
    ^ +1. P&S's are designed to do just that. SLR's really aren't. Does your GF care about those things? If so, get an entry level Canon or Nikon. If she doesn't, go with a high end P&S.

5. Jetlee

Jetlee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your replies so far guys

Well, when i mentioned that 'i don't care' i was probably going over the top. I am uneducated in photography so i don't know really know how much of that i will have to understand to take better photos.
    P+S but with higher quality i guess.
    Out of the Micro 4/3rds i would probably have a preference for the G2 even though the touch screen is irrelevant to me.
    Mike_E , what is aperture mode?
    I have a mate loaning me his D9 next week so i will play with that and see how i go.
    It's for my G/F bday so i wont be able to drag her along with me

Cheers all

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You need to take a close look at this thread Mate -
    http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-comment-bothers-any-you-if-im-just-baby.html

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Jetlee, Have a look here.. Digital Photography Tutorials

If you spend an hour or two most of your questions will have -if not an answer, a place to start the understanding. The site is well done and it comes in small bites.

enjoy

mike

8. Jetlee

Jetlee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Update:

Ok, so i realize i am about to be hated on but i have decided to go for a Micro 4/3rd format
    Most sales people have pushed these model too, but i guess they must make good margin on these products

Size and weight were the main factors. Also a friend of mine who has a dslr gave me some good advice; Buy the camera that you will think you will take more photos on!

So its either a Panasonic GF1 or G2, or a Sony Nex3 or Nex5
    Discussion on these models?

(please no gudge comments on sony either)
    Cheers

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sales people sometimes are offered 'spiff'. Spiff, is a monetary reward for selling certain specific products.

From Wikipedia.org:

Spiff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. 786soul

786soul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    After testing both the Panasonics and Sony's, I think you'll prefer the Panasonic Lumix models better. Probably the Lumix G2 being the best bet.

I found the pictures turned out better when I brought them home to my computer. I'd taken an SD to compare both the NEX-5, Olympus Pen cameras, and the Panasonic G10 and G2.

I didn't do EXTENSIVE testing by any means. I just went and snapped couple pictures and looked them over to see whether it was worth getting a m4/3's for a second body.

11. Jetlee

Jetlee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice, thanks guys - i reckon i will focus on the pansonics and stay away from spiffers!

Cheers

12. NEwbieX5

NEwbieX5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great idea taking the card and getting lots of pics from different cameras. I didn't even think about that when purchasing my NEX