Yet another newcomer to this outstanding forum

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by stick35, Nov 21, 2003.

1. stick35

stick35 TPF Noob!

I've been lurking around this forum for a few days now and I love it! I want to introduce myself now and tell my story of the moment that the photography bug bit me.

First - my name is Stan, I'm 41 and I live around Boston Massachusetts.

Up until October of this year, photography was not something I had a big interest in. I owned a simple 110 camera for years, but I don't know how I got it and I barely ever used it. A couple of years ago I was on vacation with the family and we decided to buy a digital camera - a Kodak DX4330. Even then I just didn't have any passion for it and just used it to record vacation/birthday/party moments.

In September I got a new Cell phone that had some features that I needed and it happened to come with a built-in camera. I tried it a few times, but generally didn't care about the camera feature.

Then it happened. Last month I was in my car driving around in my home town listening to a book on CD. I have a long commute to work and I have become hooked on listening to audio books to help pass the commute time. So, it's raining a little - just a slight drizzle - and as I pass a field to my right I see a cow standing right up against the wire fence just a couple of feet off the road. I love animals of all kinds and I though "hmmm - this is a good chance to use that camera phone". I turned the car around, parked across the street from the cow and walked across the road. She couldn't care less that I was walking up to her. I got to within 2 or 3 feet from her, held my phone out and took 5 pictures. I went home and transferred the pictures to my PC and printed them to show the family. As I showed my pictures, something snapped inside me. I suddenly had a desire to photograph everything I could whenever I could.

I started taking my digital camera everywhere. During lunch at work I drove around and took pictures around the farms in the area. Weekends I would drive around looking for landscape and nature photo opportunities.

To make a long story endless... a month and about $1,000 later, I now own a new Nikon N75 SLR film camera. It came with 2 Nikkor lenses (a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm), UV filters for the lenses, a Nikon camera bag and a couple of other things. I have bought about 10 photography books and a bunch of photography magazines. I also talked my wife into letting me get a new SB-50DX Speedlight flash.

So here I am. Thanks for reading my story. I wonder if some of you had similar moments where you realized that the photography bug had bitten you? I look forward to participating in your great group here.

Here is the best of the 5 pictures I took of that cow: (keep in mind that it is just from a camera-phone, so the quality is not very good)

[​IMG]

2. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

welcome ... thats a cute cow :D

i remember we had a guy who took photographs with a disposable box camera and they were great, had us all fooled :lol: ... i wonder if he's still around

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome aboard! 8)

4. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

Hi Stan! Great story about how that cow lit your photo fuse. Hold on to that, then if anyone ever complains you can point and say it's his fault! :)

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Awesome! Welcome aboard!

6. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That was an excellent story. Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the boards.

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Howdy, welcome to the forum.

Back in '95 or '96 I bought one of Kodak's first digital cameras (I think it was the DC-25?). I wasn't into photography so much as computer illustration and graphic design. I wanted the camera as more of a 3D scanner. I started taking some pics, and then I started researching how I could make my pics better. One thing lead to another, and then I was hooked on photography. Now I shoot almost exclusively with cameras that are older than I am (35), and I have my own darkroom.

Hi, my name is ksmattfish. I am a photoholic.

8. photoman

photoman TPF Noob!

Welcome To the Forum

9. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Neat story and a neat pic, welcome aboard!

10. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love your story! You had a life-changing moment that lit that artist inside you.....you're doomed, like the rest of us! So welcome! You've come to the right place! :wink:

Me, I was into hand-tinting B&W photographs that weren't my own....it was a nifty little hobby that I made some money on.....but not too long after I started it I craved, I mean CRAVED, the idea of getting my own images to tint...then it became more about the images and less about the tinting, though I still enjoy that. I started kinda back-asswards.....I seem to have a knack for it. :D

Glad you're here. I do like your cow. She was so cooperative wasn't she?

11. Shubin

Shubin TPF Noob!

Welcome in!

I was always thinkin' "...shouda had a camera..." no matter what I was doing. I got a little Logitech Quickcam Traveller to begin. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg only to find out that I didn't like it... but I found that I was using it pretty much daily. So I got me a Canon A-70 and Photoshop 7 and here I am...

I'm looking at a better digi-cam, as I still use daily, and my 'shop skillz are slowly improving due to on-line tuts and the advice of a friend. The cam is always with me, and I'm never gonna say that old '...shoulda...' line again.

Once again, welcome.